Placid Boatworks

It has been the last couple years.
My car hasn’t been very reliable the last couple years. Hopefully, the recent repair work should have it in decent traveling condition.

The other challenge is vacation time - my wife prefers that we vacation together and she has no interest in tagging along with me for a canoe gathering.

Maybe I’ll make it to either the Ohio or Wisconsin symposium next year.

Not so Glenn

– Last Updated: Aug-15-12 11:03 PM EST –

You need to do more research. Both Hemlock and PBW have been infusing other carbon kevlar product for years. I know I heard.. from the mouth of Dave Curtis. Hemlock does work for the aerospace industry.

Placid has been building luges for the US Olympic team almost from its inception.

While we might look for more canoes..money talks..and any builder wanting to stay solvent needs to pay attention if diversification makes sense.

I believe Charlie said this summer that four people ever made much money from building canoes..and the money was made in the sale of the business at the right time.

What’s not so?
You are agreeing with what I heard. These very small boat builders are able to build things for other industries because they don’t have sufficient boat demand to fill even their small manufacturing time and capacity.

I had also heard about PBW and some sort of winter equipment, but I didn’t know about Hemlock. It doesn’t surprise me. I’ve known boat builders who also made fiberglass shower stalls.

I suspect this excess capacity phenomenon is especially bad in the open canoe segment, and it will contribute to the continuing death spiral of open canoeing.

Interesting historical story from one …
… who, like me, wasn’t there, Professor Wilson.

Of the canoes that actually made it into commercial production, which one do you think was described in the 1986 Curtis Canoe Catalog as “simply a smaller version of the Lady Bug.”

You get one guess, and Regis Philbin allows no more lifeline phone calls.

25# lake+river boat?
For moderate(not white water or whitecaps) type of both my 25# Infused gunnel Colden Flashfire works for me if I keep the load lite. Everyone has different priorities,but I seldom wish I had brought a different boat on day or camping trips with carrys when in the Flash. I do sometimes wish I had brought the Flash when paddling other boats however. This just reinforces my positive regard for the versitility of my flash.

Turtle

Actually

– Last Updated: Aug-19-12 9:43 AM EST –

I came into the FreeStyle/Sport Group in 1982; have paddled both iterations of the SoapBox.

The casual observer as well as any student of hull design would notice the differences between LadyBug and MayFly; More bow arch, more stern V and significantly less rocker in the latter.

The Curtis marketing department may not have considered the differences worth commenting on.

Yost says "Yeah, we took the SoapBox, a downsized LadyBug for petite women, and altered/ruined it to improve tracking. That was what L D Curtis wanted" DY keeps notes on design criteria and cross setions on every hull he's ever designed. He drew and stripped LadyBug, SoapBox and MayFly, thr former and latter strippers becoming plugs from which LadyBug and MayFly molds were built. DY probably has a handle on what happened in the early 80s.