Plans for surf kayak?

This way will give profesional results
As sing has already posted…

http://members.aol.com/waveskis/shaping.html

The 8’ ski I built using this method weighs in about 13-1/2 lbs without belt and foot straps…It is a mehod that has been proven for decades…you will never get that strength/weight ratio out of stich and glue wood boat …as for the SOF…have you ever seen a viable surfboard built with that method?..think about it…if you really want to surf, and not just ride the wave into the beach save yourself a lot of time/money in materials and try not to make a square peg (SOF) fit into a round hole (high performance surfing). If you just like to experiment and you have the time and money to do it… have fun…

Regards,

Waterrat

COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENT!!! OMG!!!
COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENT!!!

DON’T “GIVE” him the plans or links unless he sends money through the proper channels & can show proof that he did so!!!

COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENT!!!

Sorry, had to…LMAO!!

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Jumping To (Erroneous) Conclusion…
I believe he is asking about what types of plans that are available for surf kayak designs. Links given direct the poster to the appropriates sources to buy and get the plans. With SOF construction, Robert Morris’ book gives process details but not outright plan. Plus, the book encourages one to build off his “recipes.”

I don’t believe nor assume the original poster is looking for a “freebie.”

sing

Did You Deal With The Stringer Issue
in your ski construction? I’ve been wondering and googling about it. I think I am going to use a luan stringer in my project.

sing

SOF plans
Hi u right sing, and i got the plans for the small sof allready, from a Seakayaker magasin.

I think im going to bouild the sof, for a start, this winter.

Propel

No need for Stringer

– Last Updated: Nov-08-05 10:06 AM EST –

Hi Sing
No need for a stringer...unlike a surf board which is around 2" thick you have a lot more thickness in the Wave Ski. For every time you double the thickness the stiffness goes up by a factor of four.

The use of the one and two pound density Styrofoam really took off in the construction on windsurfing race boards around 1986. Some thing was needed that was super light weight but still up for the pounding in close chop at near 40 mph.
This was achieved with the open cell Styrofoam/S-glass/carbon/epoxy. Later the laminate included a thin layer (3-6mm) divinycell, which when done properly made the boards resistant to catastrophic breakage.

While the first custom boards had stringers, it was found that it quickly caused delamination on either side of the stringer...more so than with the typical Clark foam surfboard style blank.

Bottom line is a surf ski is short and thick enough to forgo the need of a stringer.

Where the stringer dictates the thickness flow on a typical surfboard blank (subject to shapers tuning)...the hot wire templates determine the thickness flow on a stringer less wave ski/sailboard/or surf board (yes I have made a stringerless surfboard as well out of EPS it was 6'10 X 20" and weighed 7 lbs).

By using hot wire templates you can tweak the design with much more certainty...Say you build the first one and you wish you would have put another 1/4" of rocker in the nose...you can go back to your original template, use it as a known starting point and make a new template with any modification you like, while comparing it to the original. The hot wire lets you make very precise cuts. Each one you build can incorporate new ideas or refinements starting with a known reference point. You can take this as far as you want to go.

Regards,
Waterrat

Jesus Sing… It was a joke…
Loosen up man…

Paddle easy,

Coffee