Plastic Surf Yak - Revisit

Necky surf boat
I have seen this Necky Spyder on the Necky website for a while. There are no details. There is one photo and it looks pretty sweet. No fins in the pic. I looked throught the Necky forum and saw very little talk about it. Wavesport has the Flyer, maybe they could come up with a plastic offering.

I too, would like a Necky rip. A little extra length to deal with choppy waves would be nice.

Learned lots of lessons this weekend. Just when you think you are safe and outside of the break zone…bang…its closing out on your head. The combination of an on shore wind and just a dam big set rolling in, Heads up kids! Like Sing said its about timing and picking the right spot to paddle out. Its hard after you just caught a great wave, you want to paddle back ouy and get another. Waves come in sets. You are better of waiting. There are lots of waves out there.

Flyer and Spyder

– Last Updated: Sep-27-04 11:31 AM EST –

saw the both at Santa Cruz last year. Both have fin option. The Flyer is a smaller/shorter boat and probably wouldn't fit anyone larger than medium size. I think I would fit great in it but would need some really steep faces to take off in. The Spyder definitely fits medium to larger paddlers, at least the ones I saw test riding it.

Plastic surf boat campaign. Hmmm.... maybe letters to Dagger and Wavesport. :) Dagger is actually producting playboats now with little one inch fin option.

Here's a good loaddown on the Flyer:

http://www.localpaddler.com/news.php?resource_id=716

sing

Surfing SOTs
Even fewer choices than before since OK stopped making the Rapido.

The crowd at BT does not seem to have any interest in SOTs.

surfjet 305
I have a surfjet 305 by pyrhana and it is a sweet plastic surfboat. It is a sot with built in thigh straps that allow for easy rolling. It can carve and surf nicely. If you blow your role just climb back on. Nice for beginning so you can work on role but if you fail no need to swim back to shore. Disadvantage is that in larger waves if you are in the wrong spot the boat can be ripped off of you. Although from your posts it sound like that happens occasionaly in decked boat. Swimming in rip tides is not alot of fun. Nice thing about surfjet is that it has a drop down skeg and can be used on flat water (ie it was actually a birthday present for my wife to use, so it is not limited to surf and other members in the family can play with it).

there were several used ones for sale at kitty hawk sports

Hey, Interesting Boat…
Looking at the pics, it actually seems to be the same hull design as my Pyranha Acrobat, except it’s a little longer, is missing a deck (grin) and has a skeg. Maybe I should go ahead an put some fins on my Acrobat.

sing

Hi,just bought one of these but tje skeg is missimg. I am lookong to retro fit a replacement. If ypu still have the boat i would love to get some pix of how it’s fitted to the hull. Thanks

Wow… weird to see an 18 year old thread get revived…

If you inquiring about the Surf Jet 305 SOT, your best bet for info and/or parts is to go to www.topkayaker.com. Tom who owns the site/business is probably one of the most knowledgeable folks out regarding the various SOTs over the decades.

Good luck.

sing

Thank you SO much! Will follow up straight away. My father in law always reckoned you should keep a thing for 7 years,so glad that thread was kept even longer😂

I think Tom’s website has gone dark.

Tom’s Topkayaker.net (forums) is sadly gone but his online shop for kayak repair/replacement parts and assessories is still open. I ordered Scupper Pro hatch gasket replacement a number of years back. It was still owned by Tom then. I think it still is since the shop location is Tamsworth, NH, which is a little hamlet Just before reaching Conway, NH.

sing