Playful boats

I would buy another Coaster but
the last time I talked with Matt Broze at Mariner he was only accepting additions to his ‘hopefuls’ list from the west coast. He didn’t have a reliable way to ship to the east coast where I live and was very negative about shipping common-carrier because of potential for damage. I can think of few things worse than having a new boat arrive in damaged condition. Even QCC sometimes has problems with boats getting damaged and they crate their boats better than anyone. If I could get out to the west coat, I could take Brian Schulz’s workshop and build an SC-1 but would still have the problem of shipping. OTOH, I’ve heard very good reports on a couple of Necky boats, the Manitou and Chatham 16, as excellent playboats. I’ve never paddled either and don’t know if the Manitou is made in fiberglass [which I prefer for its lightweight]. A sub-forty pound boat would be the thing for me. John

Exemplifies good design

– Last Updated: Feb-20-08 12:17 PM EST –

blows common assumptions, out of the water. Lets not confuse design with assumptions. That's what I love about that boat. You'd (Bowler) have turned upwind the other day just fine in a Coaster...that I'd bet a kayak on!

How can it be?? Short at 13 ft. Wide, no pointy ends, no decals, hell, not even a front bulkhead!! and not even a rear at times...

For those interested Gronseth knows a guy who does custom bulkheads and hatches for Mariners. Might be a good business opportunity for George to do mods and ship them.

A boat ahead of it's time...one I respect very very much.

What about the new Whiskey 16? NM

Anyone seen or paddled one?NM

Pungo
A pungo is a playful boat. One day a bunch of us were taking turns in one in some rough chop and surf right on shore. Very playful boat - and a lot of fun. Nobody capsized although we all tried to intentionally swamp it plowing into the biggest breaks we could find. How much more playful can it be?

Rockhopper
love it…

2/3rd modified planing hull for surf…

fast…

enough rocker for 360 degree turns with one sweep…

drop down skeg for tracking…

slap two fins on to help stop broaching on a wave…

plastic so it bounces…

quite comfy…

paddles well…and fun-ly :wink:

r

playful
I consider a “playful boat” a kayak that has less initial stability, more secondary stability, and reacts quickly and efficiently to the movements of the paddler (i.e. edging, leaning).

Guillemot

Manitou 13 now has cool new versions
Fiberglass is 37 pounds, plastic like my new one is 45. I’ve been so busy with whitewater and surf that I haven’t really played in mine but I have it because of its great blend of maneuverability, stability, comfort, edging and good speed for a poly 13-footer. I need to add some thigh braces for mine, but not the Necky Select or ? ones – maybe some awesome, comfy revolving metal ones from Bliss-Stick in NZ.

http://www.bliss-stick.com/default.aspx?pageid=15&newtabid=13

I assume what you heard was about the Manitou 13 and not the longer, touring-oriented 14 (42 pounds composite) … the 13 is more playful in that it turns substantially faster than the 14 (which tracks substantially better yet isn’t too much faster).

There’s also a Looksha 14 now – revised version of Sport?

WOW … They now have kayaks made from 100% post-industrial plastic – I wish mine was :slight_smile: Somebody should make whitewater boats out of this:

http://www.neckykayaks.com/kayaks/day_touring/manitou_14_recycled.shtml