Pls recommend a good camp lantern

I have a Nebo Poppy that I bought in a batteries plus a few years ago. It is small, has a 300 lumen lantern, 120 lumen spot and is dimmable. It also cost like eighteen bucks and runs on AA batteries, in case you are late getting hurricane supplies.

Used to use Coleman but the mantles have gotten really flimsy of late, I guess it was when they could no longer use Thorium in them.

I have also got a battery operated lantern that I usually carry. No need to light a bright lantern in the middle of the night. Amazing thing about the electric one is that it’s a cheap thing that my folks got me years ago for Christmas. It’s spent most of it’s life in storage, but the damn thing still works with it’s original batteries from years ago!
Mantles are flimsy, but cheap. I carry extras. Glass globes can be an issue also but I’ve got one with a cracked globe that has been that way for years. I throw an extra expanded metal one in there for when she gives, although I’m somewhat scared of how hot a metal mesh globe will get.
Actually after thinking about this thread I think I want to add a candle lit lantern or two. Simple, cheap, low tech never fails and besides, until an area has a summer burn ban in place I get most of my evening light from the camp fire anyway.

The reason I suggested a brighter light as being more desirable is because in order to get more light you need more power and more battery juice. Generally the brighter lights don’t last long anyway and tend to overheat so there will definitely be lower power settings.

But the big advantage of a “bright” light is not to keep it bright, but because it has the extra battery power to make the “bright” setting work, when used at low power it will last even longer than a less bright one at its own lower settings. If this means the difference between not bringing solar panels it simplifies your life.

Solar panels? LOL, a Luci light weighs 4.4 ounces, is five inches in diameter and one inch high when collapsed. That black square is its solar panel.

Truly, my Luci lights have sat in a dark cupboard of a very warm RV over the summer and still lite up very nicely without being charged in several months.

Another vote here for Luci lights. Since I got two of them a few years ago I rarely use any of my other portable lights. The diffused glow makes for very comfortable illumination in a tent, camper or a dark room during a power outage. When I travel they ride on my dashboard so they are always charged. I use one on my kayak – it is waterproof and floats though the attached strap allows me to easily fasten it to the deck lines so I don’t worry about losing it anyway. My gift for myself this Xmas is going to be their string light version to hang in my tent.

They are currently crowd-sourcing to get their solar bike light into production, which is a great idea.

Another nice thing about the Luci company is that they have been working with international agencies to provide their lights to people in developing countries. Having a lightweight light that is powered by free solar energy can be transformative, especially to school children who live in homes with no electricity or lighting. With a Luci Light they are able to do their homework and read at home – the lights also function as lanterns to make what are often very long walks to and from school safer for them.

Luci has already donated hundreds of thousands of their lights to NGO’s and relief agencies. If you buy direct from them you have the option of adding $10 to your purchase to sponsor provision of a light to one of these programs. Kind of a nice idea for a holiday gift, to donate to this in someone’s name as well as to get them a Luci light of their own – the version made of sparkly plastic that slowly cycles through a range of colors is very popular with kids as a night light.

They also make a STEM kit for building your own Luci Light, which would be a nice gift for an older kid with tech ambitions. And they now have a cool little waterproof super-bright directional utility light, the “Core”, with a flexible silicone “tail” that can wrap around a support or loop to your clothing (I’m getting one of those too to hang on my PFD for night paddling).

@kayamedic I love headlamps for task lighting!

@string Also consider rechargeable flashlights or a Coleman lantern for walking at night & something to illuminate camp. In other words you’ll probably want a few rechargeable light sources since they each have strong points. Don’t forget your cable/car charger (leave them there year round). For camping we have a couple lights for the 2-room tent, general camp lighting, headlamps for all & a couple flashlights placed so it’s never very far from where you need it.

For general illumination? These aren’t solar but they’re inexpensive, bright & small & do a great job. I’ll be getting a couple to replace the ones we already have that are battery operated. Batteries are a pain—they’re heavy, expensive, don’t last long, & half the time you forget to pack them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WW8CB8C/?coliid=IPKSQWQFTROF2&colid=3RPTKVUHQNQOT&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Another aspect of the basic Luci Lights is that they have 3 switchable options: high, low and flashing. And, deflated, they take virtually no room in packing. One of the most simple yet clever design inventions of recent years, certainly in the solar lighting field.

We got him the Coleman he wanted but I’ll make sure he knows about Luci lights.