Pocket Chair?

Yep, that is it…
I got one of these awhile ago… Talk about a “double duty” item!!! Use it as a “pack-pad” wile hiking, a chair at camp & a 3/4 bed roll at night!! I guess that would be a “triple duty” item??

Mine was less than $20 though, I didn’t get the “yuppie model”. LMAO!!! I think mine was more like $9.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Thanks
This is what I was wondering about. I’m always cramped for space in my kayak as my alcoholic tendencies tend to carry along a suitcase of beer along with my other “essentials.” As such, I need something compact. Ideally it would have a backrest but if it beats sitting on a log or even worse, the ground, I think it would be worth it as it takes up very little space.

Can you speak as to what the quality of the chair is? For it being so cheap, I’m not looking for it to last a lifetime (or even 5 years), but of course it would be a plus if it worked reliably and easily and the material didn’t fray after the first couple of uses.

I don’t have one, but to answer your q…
You get two for twenty… Why worry about it? Use one till id dies, then take the other out of the wrapper & use it till it dies.

Hell for that price, ORDER TWICE!!! Then you should have enough chairs (stools) to last you 4-8 years or more.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Pocket chair
OK, I’m paranoid about comfort so eventually I googled up the “pocket chair”. Just another “new old” - I used this kind of chair in non-sport activities 15 years ago.

Pros: better than no chair, yes.

Cons:

1. it’s cold when weather is cold. Unlike foam (Crazy Creek) or Thermarest (any kind), there is no thick insulating layer between your butt and cold air. Thin fabric doesn’t cut it.
  2. Not very durable - wire frame is flimsy, can bend or come apart (depends on the metal, but I doubt todays Chinese metal is awfully good).
  3. Not very stable no matter how sober you are. As others noted, it doesn’t work well on uneven terrain or sand.
  4. It is so-so compact - rectangular shape is less kayak-friendly than rolled Therm or foam pad.

If you need something really compact, get a small foam pad (double thickness than sleeping pad - 20 mm or so) or Thermarest Trail Seat http://www.campmor.com/thermarest-trail-seat.shtml?source=CI&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=47704WC , it folds VERY compact. If you have plenty of room - get Crazy Creek or Kermit or aluminum frame camp chair.

ok
mine aren’t exactly the pocket chairs (as seen on the 'net) but a Taiwanese version. The side supports are steel chain and the metal frame work/supports are also pretty heavy gauge, zinc coated steel rod. The seat material is a pretty thick synthetic canvas. These are very high quality and except for some possible rust (we live at the coast) I expect them to last many, many years. They were about $12 each. I used mine this week for video filming some instructor candidates and it worked perfectly behind a tripod, set low. folded up and stowed nicely in the stern compartment.

steve

mine is this
http://www.camptime.net/roll-a-stool.htm