Polar Bear attacks Kayaker in Arctic

Minor edit
Minor point, but from the picture in the second link it looks like the partner did not grab a rifle, but grabbed a shotgun.

I don’t make my camp under dead

– Last Updated: Sep-01-10 8:00 PM EST –

trees in a windstorm anymore than I walk around unarmed. The fundamental right to defend oneself is not a dysfunction, despite what liberal urbanites think - who pin all their hopes on the government to bail them out of every situation. Having a gun and not needing it is always preferable to needing a gun and not having one. I resent the implication that there is some kind of disorder involved when citizens exercise a right that was a founding tenet of this country. I guess Thomas Jefferson and company were just out of touch with reality. Good thing we have smart people (i.e. sheep) nowdays who can put things in proper perspective and let us know how sick these folks really were.

Reefmonkey - your's is the typical passive sheep idea of self preservation. That's also what makes those dark, lonely places so dangerous.

g2g
you have issues… why start a stupid and pointless argument on a paddling forum. must just be your way of venting. a little stressed are we? this statement is obviously a plain and simple truth we are all responsible for our own defense. yes seems simple to me. I dont carry a gun but if on an expedition in bear country i certainly should. polar bears and grizzlies will eat you! to them you are food! what about this do you not understand? nobody is saying you have to carry a gun! most of us could care less if you are eaten alive. please go to the arctic or the kootneys in bc canada and just cruise around like you own the place. being that your a phsycholigist you can certainly talk the grizzlies or polar bears out of eating you. maybe send them kfc or something.

retard!

On their website link

– Last Updated: Dec-06-10 8:35 PM EST –

..in the photo of the tent campsite, that is a short
barrel pump shotgun in the foreground. The article ascribes that he killed the bear with a rifle.
??? Would be interesting to know more details of the actual defense effected.

++ i see mr canoehead spotted the shotgun too ++

Attack - On a Lighter Note
http://www.summitstudios.biz/spotlight_torrens_sample.asp

And you’ll be the first…
one to come screaming; HELP ME! HELP ME! SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT!

You seem to read only my posts, not

– Last Updated: Dec-07-10 1:48 PM EST –

the ones that precede them. I was told that carrying a gun was a matter of personal responsibility. All anyone in this discussion needed to say was, "All right! You won't carry one, I will!" But beaverjack was not content with that.

You seem to be suffering from "lurking for g2d" syndrome. And it's really shameful to call people "retards". Developmentally disabled people usually act much better than some pnetters.

Ummm? I said it…

– Last Updated: Dec-07-10 2:45 PM EST –

I carry cause it is my right to just as it is your right to "not to"

Here, let me show you where:
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=wtrip&tid=1315380

Apparently you overlooked that? Most psychologists, tend to read way too far into something & overlook the obvious. We understand. How else would you guys get the world on Ritalin & take over? Right?

Paddle easy,

Coffee

I was responding to rtw73, not you.

– Last Updated: Dec-07-10 4:53 PM EST –

Ease up on the coffee. I'm OK with people who carry legally. I just don't like being criticized for not carrying when 50 years of experience tells me I never needed to. You make decisions out of your actual experience, and I will make decisions out of mine.

Oh, and psychologists do not prescribe meds. And I am against the high # of Ritalin prescriptions.

Actually you did…
All anyone in this discussion needed to say was, “All right! You won’t carry one, I will!”

But point made & noted.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

g2d
Your comments regarding developmentally disabled people and p-nutters was spot on.

Mike

This is great!
I come to the wilderness board and I find a bunch of animals!

I’m going back to b&b.

this is why

– Last Updated: Dec-07-10 10:40 PM EST –

I have a bomb strapped to my chest whenever I leave the house. Less stuff to carry.

why you all jumping g2d?
What a bunch of tough guys. He doesn’t even have a gun!

I hope you shoot better than you write
…or the bears are gonna die of laughter.

That’s OK, it’s winding down.

You have to be careful never to suggest
that a discussion is on the wrong forum.

That’s a whooooole other thread.
Personally, I’m all for gravity, but I respect those that take a stand against it.

YoS

photos of a bear victim.
Beware of these photos. Not for the weak stomach.

This is one page…at the bottom of it you can forward to two other pages of pics.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_polar_bear_attack2.htm

true, true