Polarized sunglasses suggestions?

glasses

– Last Updated: Apr-19-04 11:21 PM EST –

i use the costa del mars, but I work on the water, the company is great, lifetime warranty is for real,after 2 years mine stated to lose the polarization around the edges of the frame,they replaced the lenses for $12 s+h charge,good glasses make a huge difference,costly yes,$130, tax deductable ,YES! not getting cataracts PRICELESS.
and yes racoon eyes are a side effect

Next you people will be wearing Tilley
hats. Have you no shame?

Just bought a pair
of very cool polarized glasses from Bike Nashbar to replace my old pair which I pretty much wore out. The model is the Native Ripp RS, which were on sale for $30, regularly $100. They are a smaller frame which fits most women better. Usually the cheapo glasses are much too big for my face, so this was a great find!

You can’t say
the "T " word!!!LOL.

Thanks for the info
I just bought the “Native F-2 Polarized Sunglasses” from them at the same price. I’ve always been able to find a good deal on a good pair of glasses eventually. I’d been eying a couple of $50-60 pairs at Sierra Trading Post, but these were a better deal. My experience has been that quality lenses last longer and have much better optics than cheap ones.

Thanks Again!
Yooperchic- we took a look at the Natives you recommended. My wife loved them, so we ordered a pair and a few other odds-and-ends for our infrequent bike trips. These seemed a good compromise between “cheapos” and the high-dollar glasses. It especially helped knowing that these fit women’s faces. Thanks very much to all who posted; as usual, lots of good information and advice. Take care, friends! Regan

Hmm
I thought maybe I was missing out on this expensive sun glass thing, so I went to the local sun Glass hut and tried various models and makes. I personally could not tell the difference. Between the ones I got from Wally world and the Expensive name brand ones. I got the “High end Wally world ones” the ones with the Thick polarized lens. I think they are like 14-16 bucks. Anyway I am not an expert or anything but they work for me. They have been banged around the dash of my truck, smacked by branches while yacking and MT-Biking. And they still work great. I have gotten some of the Cheaper wally world Sunglasses that made my eyes hurt after wearing them for awhile! But the High end fishing ones seem to work pretty good. I guess what I am trying to say is there is low priced stuff and there is low priced Crap!

or
a drop of sunscreen in each eye at the beginning of the day.

here we go again
If your eyes can tolerate cheap sunglasses with no annoyance at scratches or imperfect optics, by all means get 'em. But if you are like many on here, you may want to spend some extra $ to be more comfortable, and secure that you are protecting your only two eyes. Yes there are good and bad cheapos, but none I’m aware of approach the optical quality of a decent pair.

Got the Bolle’s today.They look
like something from ‘Blade’. But I’m too old to be cool,if I ever was, so I’ll be happy with the protection.

Oh, well
Just got an email from Nashbar that the glasses we ordered on line, which were shown in stock, are not really in stock. Another store goes on the list of ones I won’t deal with. So, the search continues. Anoyone know of other outstanding deals like this one?

Seakak, I’m curious if you consider the Natives to be in the “cheap” line, or are you talking about the $20 Walmarts? What are your recommendations? Thanks, Regan

natives
From what I’ve heard I don’t think the Natives are el cheapos, but good sunglasses. Not an expert but I’m thinking more of the gas station or wal-mart versions.

I hope no one thought I was being flippant regarding the cheapos. I wish I could still get by with 'em, but my eyes are sensitive after years of abuse.

I found my pair (serengetis, no polarization) at Campmor.com. as PeterK says, they have a great range, from 19.95 to 49.95, for glasses regularly priced from 30 to 200. Pretty good deals. I’d visit the site and see what they have; Bolle makes good affordable (on that site) polarized sunglasses. Opt for the plastic frames and keep track of 'em and they should last 3 years or more, like mine have. And, I find that I take better care of them when I pay more.

Nope, Seakak,
Not flippant at all, just curious about your opinions and experiences. I agree that sometimes the best you can buy is indeed worthwhile. I spend all day on my feet most days, and a good pair of what most folks would call “logging” boots makes all the difference at the end of the day. I can easily see that glasses could be the same for lots of folks, and I agree that it pays to take care of body parts, especially for those of us whose parts are aging or not as adaptable as they once were. I appreciate everyone’s input. Still looking… Darn Nashbar! I hate shopping! Take care, Regan

Sorry to hear
you couldn’t get the Native glasses. You might want to give Nashbar a break, though, these were in stock until very recently. I have been dealing with Nashbar for many years and have had no bad experiences. Good luck shopping!

H2Optics
H2Optics make a great polarized sunglass. They last forever and if something ever happens to them they replace them for free. I bought a pair in 96 , broke them in 97 , got a free pair , broke them in 98 , got a free pair , broke them in 2001 , got another free pair and gave them to my cousin , which still has them. All of that for $99. Im now using Action Optics which i really like and only run about $65. Its worth spending the money on good glasses , If not you can get headache that will just ruin your day.

Polarized… YES!
I have glasses myself. I have been without sunglasses for some time now. Recently, I purchased some prescription lenses and they are polarized with a green/brown tint. They are the wraparound frames (which help with the splashes). How thrilled I am with these glasses. I can actually see the fish swimming through the water. Granted- they were expensive. But they are extremely durable and thick. A wise purchase.

And, again, thanks!
Well, after shopping around, and consideration of what you folks had to say, my wife ended up with a pair of Native Low Ryders; the Ripps were too small for her face. My daughter, however, ended up with the Ripps. How come women are so expensive? My wife was amazed at the difference between the Natives and the $20-25 type glassees. I bought a pair of polarized clip-ons to see if polarization would make any difference on the water with my Photo-gray prescription lenses. All of our family have blue eyes, so you guys are right- good protection is important. We hope to try these out on the Current at the Ozark Rendezvous this coming weekend. Thanks for all of the timely help and information! I, and “my girls”, appreciate it. Happy paddling, folks.

Expensive Sunglasses and Hairloss
B^)

Amber Lense are best for…
Seeing under water obstacles… It does not matter what brand as long as they are polarized and Amber. I have found the Amber lense reduce the glare on the water extremely well. I sight fish for bass, trout, etc… and have tried many kinds and colors… but for me the Amber is best. Like they posted above the Bolle’ are great glasses. Go to their webpage and look under web bargain - sunglasses… My girlfriend just bought a pair of Bolle’ exchangable lense, list price $130.00 for $39.95 not too bad of a deal. What glasses do I use… Amber lense Strike King from Wal-Mart price $7.95… why? They work just as well as the others, I can buy many pairs cheap… Have fun choosing!

Bruce