Poop in the wild!

Kayaking = Turbo toilet + Wag Bags + heavy duty (retired) dry bag to pack out the wag bags. Comfy to go, clean, packs out easily. I found the Turbo toilet at a local Emergency Essentials store. It was love at first sight! It packs down flat and fits inside my kayak. It makes using the wag bags easy.
http://www.blackpinesports.com/turbo-toilet-turbo-potty

Rafting = Groover. 7 gal. bucket with a Gamma Lid/Toilet seat. If it’s a river with a scat machine we are happy & emptying it at the end of the trip is easy. If no scat machine, then we are less happy and use an RV dump (hazmat suit, goggles, gloves, pour it down the hole). If it’s a weekend trip, then we use wag bags with the bucket set-up.

Good tip that I’ve never heard anyone give: If your excuse is “I had to go, and I didn’t have time to dig a hole!” Dig your hole(s) in advance when, or after you set up camp for example. Otherwise, just be honest and say “I’m lazy, and disrespectful of others.”

Scoop into ziplock bag, then into a bagged tube, a little larger than imaged. #1 filtered w/a few ziplock bags…

“Wag bags for weekend trips.”
I see a lot of paddlers I know carry wag bags but I do not recall seeing anyone use or pack them out. Of course, it is a private moment and no one brags about their deposit so I am probably missing that.

I see a lot of vids and websites that use poop-tubes but these are “white” PVC and not ‘black’ ABS. PVC is not made for sewage, ABS is. Also those sites show a screw-on cap to their PVC poop-tubes. I hope that they never lose the wrench!! Screw-on caps leak when closed by hand so you NEED the wrench to seal and open them.

Maria is quite open in these matters and talks about digging a cat hole. Each time I saw her do this, it was on a sand-bar or sandy beach and even then, it was a few inched deep with a pile of sand over, all waiting for the next wave to send the floater downriver! No wonder Giardia and Crypto are so common in the US.
She told me that when she hikes, she does the hiker thing which is to cover the poop with a convenient rock!

I only dug a cat-hole once and by the time it was finished, so was I! I had to scoop into the hole and wipe more than my cheeks. After that I ALWAYS took my poop-tube.

BTW, that large font in the original post re: the ladies, just happened when I hit ‘post’. I do not know why it went all giant font. Sorry about that.

As an FYI, I use the local compost potty whenever it is around, I only clean the seat well before I sit.
Somehow, every one I see has TP on the floor! It is 18 freaking inches to the toilet! Who craps in the toilet then drops their used TP on the floor NEXT to the toilet???
Suzi asked me why I don’t date her and she will do anything I wanted… I told her that picking up her used TP and tampons on the floor in the bathroom would be a start.
People are pigs!

@kayamedic said:
All depends on where you go
Different techniques for different ecosystems
In the boreal forest removing moss and going and replacing the moss is fine
On the Maine Islands that are almost all rock you have to tube it out. The old method of crapping on a flat rock then hurling the rock to the ocean can result in the return of your gift when the tide comes back in

Down To the Sea in Shi…Well, You Know.
(or Making Maine Passage)

Let he without crap
cast the first stone,
if Mt. Desert Island
be your squatter home,
and don’t roll that stone
if you wish gathered moss,
which you’ll lichen not much
when gales boomerang toss!

Well they say I’m from away
and I don’t give no squats,
till by old lobster rolled
out of house I take trots,
then by pylons defiled
I’ll be docking the beast,
mixing high tides with ebb tides
and so I goes when Down East.

Just read this month’s National Geographic magazine. It seems that OD , open defecation , is one of the big problems in the third world country. Sometimes you forget how good we’ve really got it.