possibly the dumbest question ever

i have a possibility
my dad had 2 rubber rafts but the mice in our shed chewed hole in them and we have 1 or 2 sets of single blade aluminum and plastic paddles.

These Will Float :->))
If you want a paddle that’ll float for sure, check out this link

http://www.nessmuking.com/paddle.htm

I posted this to Bryan Hansel’s Nessmuking site so people could make their own paddles very quickly (about 6-8 hours work)and cheaply (>$20)- these paddles are light, tough and very, very simple to make.

We’ve used ours for about 7 years now, and I’ll never buy a paddle. They are certainly as good as, and in many cases better than, any $100 paddle. If you have any questions, please e-mail me anytime.

Regards,

Rick

most paddles
in that price range will float—nonetheless a paddleleash is still a good idea just in case it gets away from you. Unleashed it could float all the way to China:)

i doubt it
it is impossible for it to float to china. most of the local lakes are around 100-300 acres.

most paddles
will float for while at least until the tube fills with water, maybe even with the tube filled. But the paddle leash idea is good even if the paddle has no chance of sinking. If you let go of it and are sitting in your boat watching the paddle floating merrily about 10 ft. from you, you may have to jump ship to get it. Especially since a paddle and a loaded kayak probably have different speeds on the same water.

All the paddles I own
have some type of “bulkhead” insert in the tube to make it float, even the ones that cost 19.95. Aquabound is a quality manufacturer - I’m pretty certain they’ve addressed flotation.

lol–even if it doesn’t get to China
you probably don’t want to spend your time walking the shoreline of even a small lake looking for your paddle—

I think you can get a better paddle
for your money. Probably a glass shaft and nylon blades. Aluminum is heavy for a paddle.

the paddle is a package deal
but i save 100$ buy buying the package that has the paddle. unless i buy the expedition version of the advanced elements advanced frame, because that does not have a package.

My first paddle was aluminum and plastic
It could double as an axe or a shovel.It lasted 2 trips and I traded up.Ask them if you can trade up for a few bucks.

I had the same concern…
when I bought my first boat. After some research I found something called a paddle float, I keep a fully inflated one on each end of my paddle every time I go out now to avoid losing it if I do drop it.

OK not really, heed the wisdom of those veteran kayakers, a leash is the way to go.

Ask my neighbor
He asked me what the deal was with paddles that sink and if anyone still makes wooden kayak paddles. Apparently his kids have managed to sink all their paddles in the canal.

A lot of the cheaper, particularly metal shaft, paddles WILL sink (some expensive carbon paddles can be sunk too! Assume nothing!). Happens a lot faster when they’re apart. Together, the air is trapped at least for a while.

Even if you have a sinker, some foam pieces stuffed down the shafts is an easy fix. Shouldn’t take much or add much weight (if weight was an issue you be upgrading anyway).

hey greyak
thanks for the foam info, probably a common practice but never thought of it.

Foam Good
Forgot about that - the person whose paddle sank stuck some foam into the shaft shortly afterwards…

L
Kind of OT, but i play Disc Golf, i didnt know that plastic disk golf discs SINK. I disc of mine landed in a small murkey creek, I figured it had just floated down stream so i tossed my favorite disk in the water to watch the current. DOH, It sank like a rock!

Yeah …
Steel doesn’t float either, else they’d make ships out of it …

Delphinus

http://www.AquaDynology.com

paddle choice
i think i have decided to get an aquabound stingray completely carbon 2 piece paddle along with the 10’5" advanced elements inflatable kayak package at rei, because to buy everything in the package seperate and switch paddles for the carbon one would cost only 10-20$ less once i get a 20% off coupon from the rei demo day i am going to go to. then i will have a decent quality backup paddle. and as for paddle floats i think i can conviince my mom to buy me one of those saftey packages that have a bilge pump, paddle leash, and paddle float because she is worried about me tipping a 34" wide inflatable kayak. lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Paddle Leash
No matter what the paddle and wether it will float or not, if the paddle is in the water it’s going away. A paddle leash will stop that and is a very cheap way to keep your boat and paddle together. I’ve seen paddles get carried away pretty fast in moving water but have never seen one sink.