Pros and Cons, Load Assist Systems

I paddle in Maine too
Rocks, or rocks on the beaches and ocean. And I very much like my kayaks, have figured out what features mean I can sit in it all day and will get me home safe if I encounter surprises. I value the last more than backing off on what I use to carry them.

FWIW, I have a super light boat for calm water around here, 21 pounds, and often take that out for local paddles pond or flat river trips where I am happy to lag at the back of things just to get on the water. It is also slow. But it doesn’t get me to the places I want in Maine.

those look great
in the budget for this season.

FYI
Just as an FYI, I bought mt Hullavators from www.autoanything.com as I got a 20% discount there. They are having a similar sale right now.

Works for me
I don’t want to drive around with protruding hardware on the roof when I don’t need to use it. The trailer hitches and unhitches very easily and allows use with any 2" ball whether hitch-affixed or bumper-affixed. Parking space at home is fine; parking space at launches sometimes is adequate, sometimes not. I can live with that. I usually paddle the SK in carting distance from home anyway.

Driving ease and cost
In NY state I have to license and title the trailer, but you have to at least license it too as well as registering the longer sea kayaks. And insure of course.

I get that the stuff on top bothers some people. It doesn’t me, in fact there are times I leave the stackers up so I can find the car in a crowded larger parking lot. I drive around with racks up for much of the winter for pool sessions anyway.

I see the value of trailers for some people, just not me if I can replace the whole issue with something that offers major lift advantages to rooftop. I would have to learn new habits to drive it safely, when most times it is likely to be just me and a boat. I also don’t see the cost savings. I can spend some bucks one time and get something like a Hullivator and the correct cross bars for it, then not have to do anything else for a long while except swap out towers. For about the same money I end up with a trailer and additional annual costs to my insurer and NY state annually to be able to use it. I believe I also come under a higher toll on paid highways. Plus an annual safety inspection.

If I were two people I would consider it as an option for aging. But as one person it seems like it just gives me more to keep track of and maintain.

right trailer
With the right trailer you can use it for lots more than just kayaks. I’ve been using mine which is convertible from utility to kayak use for lots of years and always do it alone. Nice to only have to lift boats to waist height to load them.

Bill H.

If I had major property
And hauled stuff related to country living I would want one. But I live in the city and it is time in my life to think about being in less space and overhead.

Does the bath mat stay in place when
windy?

Hullavator’s pretty nice
My Thule rack and Hullavator were installed this morning. The River Connection had an 897XT on sale late last fall, so I was happy to do business with my preferred outfitter. Also included six Thule cylinder locks with the order. The rack and Thule Aeroblade load bars were purchased from the outfitter in Traverse City who was doing the installation work.

The installer was excellent and meticulous. I sort of expected to fall down laughing when I saw those tall cradles on top of my small Honda FIT, but it actually looks quite nice. Driving home at 60 MPH, I heard only my playlist. Not even a whisper from the top of the car.

When I got home I loaded my short, fat Necky kayak. It went up easily and came down easily. I used only the cam straps, not the bow/stern tie-downs since I wasn’t leaving my driveway. The stern tie down will be easy as there’s an easily accessible tow hook connection at the back of the car. My installer pointed out a small circle on the front bumper, which can be removed and used for the front tie-down by screwing in a heavy eye bolt. The eye bolt was with the tire changing stuff. My Honda Owner’s Guide makes no mention of that bolt; still waiting for the Owner’s Manual to arrive. Bought a set of Seals Quickie Hood Loops since it looks simpler.

The installer did warn me about the pitfalls of a brushless car wash. His wife took his vehicle mounted with a Thule rack and box. The laser guidance somehow miscalculated and the arm of the brushless wash hit the box and knocked it off. He suggested a safer route is to use a car wash with a hand held wand.

The only con concerns a carport leading into my garage. The bottom cradle of the Hullavator is a bit over half an inch too tall to clear it. I didn’t think of measuring the height. I did some experimenting and with the Hullavator arms pulled down, I can clear the carport and drive into the garage - and then have to squeeze out of the car and raise the arms. It would be easier if I had a two-car garage, but I don’t. Do I want to do that every single time I enter and exit my garage? Unequivocally not. So the Hullavator was removed and stashed inside the house, and my car is in the garage. Once the weather warms and I need to transport a boat, I’ll reinstall it, park outdoors, and put my boat in the garage.

Now that I’ve seen how efficient and easy the Hullavator is, I’d still buy one even with the height issue

Height Issue
I have a label stuck on my driver’s side visor, telling me exactly the height of my car with the Hullavators on. I must say though that I’ve never really needed to refer to it.

As for garage space, I have a 2 car car garage but I own 3 cars, so my Santa Fe with the Hullavators simply stays outside on my driveway. Two convertibles, a motorcycle, four bicycles, a snow thrower, generator and two kayaks live in there already.

I really have no problem driving with the cradles on the SUV. They’re not that bad at all, although as I said in a previous reply I do remove them for the winter months or if I’m taking a long trip. Removing/replacing is easy and it affords me the opportunity to check the hex bolts and lubricate the pivot points.

Like many others, a trailer is just not a viable alternative for me. I’d have to store it, license it, insure it, etc., and I really don’t have any other need for one.

Brushless car washes
I have used them all the time with the stackers folded down on my existing racks, and with cross bars that are about as wide as the car involved. So the ends of the cross bars stick out to the width of the car but do extend beyond the roof. It does require some attention to centering on one of those car washes. No. impact on the rack system except that it may shorten the life span of the plumbing insulation on the stackers.

The new ride is a bit taller and I will have to see how any new system folds down. But given the full out SUV’s that go in head of me, the issue may be more about the impact of a pressure wash on a lubricated joint than height.

Seems
Seems to me it’s better to invest in lighter boats than put the best part od a K in a mechanical lift that doesn’t improve paddling.

1/4" clearance
let 3/4" of air out of tires LOL

Agree, but
where Celia paddles, lighter weight options might not be the best option.

The paddling that needs the most boat
Is Maine ocean. Not year round but all it takes is one rocky landing with a delicate kayak to ruin the entire vacation.

I don’t need super heavy boats, but weighing in at 130 pounds means that my “light” boats are likely to be too light.

And I have sea kayaks - three or maybe four of them that I can paddle. The cost of the fanciest rack system with assist is not going to cost as much as replacing one of them with a different layup. Worse that happens is I have to take part of it off to load the canoe.

I really don’t object to spending some bucks on a fancier system, especially if it’ll make it easier to paddle some new place. The at-the-time-seemed-expensive Amagansett Roller Loader has more than paid its cost in allowing me to load full length sea kayaks solo. For the most part I figure equipment for paddling that gets me on the water ends up being one of the cheapest things you can buy when you figure out the cost per hour of paddling.

Kayaking, biking and cross country skiing are about the cheapest things you can do when you compare them to sports where you pay for the facilities like greens fees and court time. The outdoors is either free or relatively cheap. I just want to get the equipment that’ll be the easiest to live with long term.

1 Like

In many cases, lighter weight

– Last Updated: Mar-15-16 7:31 AM EST –

means a heavier price tag. There's a beautiful 16-foot sea kayak I'd love to demo. Weighs 36#. Cost? $4,000.

There's also a 21# boat for sale nearby at $1,800. I know the boat and it's beautiful. Affordable, but it's a 21' Nelo with a 17" beam.

My personal view is that good technology that simplifies certain tasks, thus saving time and energy, is worth its weight in gold.