Proud new owner of a Tempest 170

Hatch cover bungee
I have a Tempest 165 I got used. I never used any bungee for the hatch. Are the hatch cover bungess needed? How do they fit? Are they bungees for all the hatch covers?

bungee material
there are bungees that fit around each hatch that help keep the hatch in place. Lots of people say that they don’t use them and others (if you read the forums about the tempests) say that they leak, or that the hatches need the bungees to stay dry.

I figure that they can’t hurt and as long as they were free…

paul

Congratulations
Glad to hear there is another pretty kayak in Ft Lauderdale

Bungees are for reinforcement
I would get and use the bungees if you venture far from land or go out in rough conditions. The hatches have a groove around the edge where the bungee fits to hold the hatch more tightly.

pretty boats!
talk about a beautiful boat! (VCP Nordkapp Jubilee)

You’ll love it
The Tempest is a great boat. Stable as a catamaran and rolls like a dream. It tracks well, too. I decided to not use the skeg when first learning to paddle. Now that I have some strokes mastered, I don’t ever use the skeg. This includes a nor’easter on Lake Superior when the Gales of November came slashin’ When you use the hatch bungees those spaces are dry as a bone.

skeg
found the skeg useful in a following sea coming from port side (dunno if I am saying that right…waves coming from behind basically back left) and it helped but it also slowed me down. found that most of the time it was easier to lean and correct that way with paddle strokes.

Am trying to not use it until I feel I don’t need it anyway, then use it when I feel lazy.

wife boat
Now AI am looking for a boat for the wife. here we go again with the questions… :slight_smile:

should be obvious…
Tempest 165.

d’uhhhhh

:wink:

steve

not so easy
but I’m working on her!