pulley hoist system for garage

Electric

– Last Updated: Jun-07-09 10:14 AM EST –

Ok, I guess your original comment wasn't about hoist or no hoist, really, it was about the type of hoist. A fair comment.

When I bought these things 8 years ago they were only $79 each in the Northern Tools catalog. Made in China. Looked to be worth much more than that; they seemed quite well built. The overhead mounting with no need for an arrangement of pulleys made them seem ideal. They've worked flawlessly used about once a week during paddling season ever since, so it's been money very well spent.

I think the price has gone up a bit since, though still not excessive.

Mike

Good results with BAC pulley
I second the BAC pulley system. Northern Tool has (had)them for $40. They come with everything you need. It has a brake, so the boat won’t just fall, if you release the lines.

I built one hoist out of parts from the Big Box store, but the cheap pulleys added more friction resistance than mechanical advantage. I have to pull hard to raise the boat, and it comes down slowly, even when the lines are released.

The Harkin looks good, but it has a limit of 8’ or 10’ ceiling. I’ve only seen it for sale at over $100.

It’s not just wall space
My wife collects a lot of junk - much of it either hanging from the walls or suspended from the ceiling.

I have 2 winches and the lines from each of these goes through 3 different pulleys before getting to the two boats hanging that way. The winches are on the wall and so are 2 of the 3 pulleys for each boat. There are another couple of pulleys that are attached to ceiling joists for these two boats. The remainder of that wall is taken up with paddle storage.

Then I have my surf boat on a rope ratchet hanging above my glass touring boat. Then I also have a plastic Capella for my “rocky” days hanging from rope ratchets on ceiling joists in the middle of the garage. The remaining two walls of the garage are taken up with storage cabinets for all of my wife’s junk.

pulley system for kayaks
I use a pulley system at each end of the kayak (each pulley system holds 50 lbs and the kayaks are just under 70 pounds) and they work great.