Pungo 120 or Prodigy 12.0?

IF that is all you are going to do

Looking at the you tubes posts, a rec kayak would probably suit your needs. But if (when) you want to get a bit more adventurous you will want to upgrade. The problem with boat recommendations on this sight is they tend to spiral up as time goes on until they are recommending $3K yaks with $500 paddles or don’t bother going. Everyone also recommends skipping the rec boat phase and spending the same money on a used “quality” kayak. It comes down to how much do you want to spend versus what’s available. As far as low end rec boats go, they are all pretty much the same, find one that’s comfortable to sit in that you can pick up and go forth and be happy. If you’ve got a little more cash go to the paddling shop and see what they got.

Boats get cheaper in a couple months and stay that way until next spring.

lighter kayaks
That’s why we had previously recommended boats like the Venture Easky and Elie Strait, which at 46 lbs are simple to lift for most adults and LIGHTER THAN THE REC BOATS YOU ARE LOOKING AT. I’m a 61 year old 5’ 5" woman and have no trouble carrying the Easky and loading it on the roof rack of my fairly tall Santa Fe. In fact, a longer thinner kayak is usually easier to balance and carry with your shoulder in the cockpit than is a short wide boat. Try it at a kayak store or demo day and you will see what I mean.

The price differential is not all that great – the Elie is only about $100 more than an equipped Pungo and is a much more versatile boat.

Another thing not much mentioned in these discussions is that a 14 or 15 foot narrower touring kayak will paddle faster in a straight line with less effort than a wider shorter rec boat. Does this matter to you? The reaction I get from people accustomed to rec boats from rental fleets when I let them paddle one of my touring or sea kayaks is “Eureka! This kayak is so fast and easy to paddle!” Sometimes they are nervous because the kayak feels a little “wiggly” at first but they quickly get over that once they realize it isn’t going to capsize and they can sit comfortably in it to birdwatch or take photos as well as move along at a nice pace.

Bottom line, as we keep saying, you really need to get inside and try some different kayak models – there is no way to really explain the difference in feel to you. We’re spinning our wheels until you actually sit in these boats in the water and have your own “Eureka” moment. It may be for a rec boat or for a touring or sea kayak – no way to predict that.

Regarding the Elie

– Last Updated: Aug-09-11 5:42 PM EST –

I so wanted to see the Elie today! I went to 3 places locally and none had one. All the local places are pretty small. I may get to.Sarasota soon so I can check out the Elie. It's a little pricey.

Also, I'm trying to buy locally, within my own town. I will make an appointment to test drive some vessels!

Speed isn't important to me at all. I'm not worried about being tippy, though I don't want to keep falling out. But I've got good balance and am comfortable in the water so far.

Thanks for all the advice.

more Easky flogging

– Last Updated: Aug-09-11 5:52 PM EST –

At the risk of sounding like a tape recorder (yeah, I do love the boat) look at this shot of the Easky 15LV at Sweetwater. It's even the exact same color as mine (called "The Snow Pea" for obvious reasons.) Call me superficial, but I mean, tell the truth, is this not a sweet and sleek looking kayak compared to a Pungo?

http://sweetwatersboatsinstock.blogspot.com/2010/03/venture-easky-15-lv.html

I didn't "need" a kayak when I bought mine -- already owned 4 boats and had just stopped in to the outfitter's to pick up some Aquaseal -- spotted the green Easky on sale in the rack by the front door and it was lust at first sight, which quickly turned to love once I got her in the water.

OK, I'll shut up now.....

Easky 15LV

– Last Updated: Aug-09-11 5:57 PM EST –

Yes! That looks like a nice kayak! I like the specs and the weight is good for me. Unfortunately, it's way out of my price range. Is be saving another year to be able to get that one.

I did notice that the more expensive ones were lighter, nicer looking. But, I'll have to stay with my budget. My $800 budget includes paddle and car carrier.

Take Lesson & buy Used
After testing out some kayaks on the water you will have a much better idea of what you need in a kayak. Then you could look around for a used boat in your price range. It’s not easy to wait but it’s better than buying a new kayak that you find does not live up to your expectations down the road.

Rental fleet deals
Sweetwater has a rental fleet. They may have a used Easky or other quality rental kayak at a good entry level price.

http://www.sweetwaterkayaks.com/index.html

size
For your body size the Perception Tribute 12 would be a much better fit than the Prodigy.

Size?
Is that a smaller one? I’m tall, and light.

You don’t lift boats
You don’t lift the whole boat. You lift one end then slide it on top of a car, and get a cart to handle car to water’s edge. There are devices that make this easier - I weigh 135 and get 17 ft plus boats up on top of the car myself when needed that come in at half my own weight. But I use a roller and slide the them.

That said, willowleaf mentions plenty of reasonably light boats that can take you a whole lot further than a rec boat like the Pungo.

Yup, check on rental sales
I worked for outfitters who rented gear and I know that many sell off their livery boats at the end of the season (otherwise they have to pay taxes on them as inventory at the end of the year or depreciate them.) And as the previous answer pointed out, Sweetwater does use the Easkys for classes. I only paid $730 for mine a year ago – marked down 30% for inventory clearance. Buying a boat from an independent outfitter can be a lot like buying a car – be honest about your budget and don’t be afraid to ask if you can get a better deal. Most will bundle the accessories you need at a discount if you package them with the boat, too.

light
At your weight, boats for average-to-large paddlers will have way too much freeboard unless you’re loaded with gear. That means you’ll have a harder time dealing with wind. Sliding around in a cockpit that’s too big compounds the problem.

I’m 5’9", 160, and usually prefer “smaller paddler” boats. They fit me better and I feel that I have more control.

Too light
Thanks for that advice. I will try out some kayak for smaller paddlers!

Tsunami 120
Now I’m also considering the Tsunami 120. Looks to be a traditional sea kayak, but for smaller paddlers. Little pricey though.

Repeat - go look at real sea kayaks

– Last Updated: Aug-13-11 8:34 AM EST –

The Tsunami 120 is not a sea kayak. It is a relatively capable boat for less protected paddling than the smallest pond out there and more protected paddling than open ocean. That is not to say that paddlers who have seat time can't go out into bigger stuff with it. But it isn't friendly to solving problems in bigger water unless in the hands of a decent paddler.

Admittedly the situation is not helped by how WS classifies their boats, with everything from just-above-recreational to boats like the Zephyr classified as touring boats. Somewhere in there is the break for full out sea kayaks. Reading their site, if you look carefully the first time they use the words "sea kayak" are when they describe the Expedition boats. The Tsunami 120 is classified as a light touring boat, it isn't until the Tsunami 160 that they talk about sea kayaks.

This is why you have to get away from the computer, to go look at and get into boats. WS is not the only company that has classified boats in a way that blurs the line into full out sea kayaks.

As to the basis for my concerns about the Tsunami 120 - have a recent example. A local paddler has been coming to a pond to try to nail a self-rescue. His boat is longer but has similar characteristics to the Tsunami 120, two bulkheads, full perimeter line etc and designed with less adventurous water in mind. In the right hands it can do some bigger stuff, but our experience with it so far in when its owner tried to do the same things with it that I can easily knock off in my sea kayaks has been less than encouraging.

The first time the paddler tried to put weight against the perimeter line to help him re-enter, and that is with people stabilizing the boat so he didn't have to work as hard, the perimeter lines tore out. Happily the fittings weren't harmed, and everything just had to be re-fitted so it was more robust. Last night they really could not get over the back of their boat in a paddle float re-entry because the back deck was so high. We also couldn't find a way to get the paddle better secured under rigging because of the arch of the rear deck, unlike the flat rear deck of the sea kayaks that were on the pond.

This person paddles solo and wants to paddle into the fall. But unless they can get a self-rescue down, they are simply not safe going further from shore than they can swim.

Get to Sweetwater then talk about sea kayaks.

From the you tube posts
she doesn’t need a full blown kayak to go banging through three foot swells. People who’ve been paddling for awhile forget what it’s like to start out and forget about the sticker shock of a new boat. After you’ve paddled awhile you can make a reasoned decision about dropping a couple $k for something your passionate about.

I’d buy the boat and enjoy the rest of the summer.

Size

– Last Updated: Aug-12-11 3:39 PM EST –

At your weight/size, the 135 would be a better choice in the Tsunami line, but it's even more expensive.

My impression of the Tsunamis I've tried was that they were designed more for tracking than maneuverability. That might work against you in rivers. But I'm used to tiny whitewater boats, so everything else seems to track well by comparison.

Again, given that you're a slender 120 pounds, I'd suggest focussing on "smaller paddler" boats such as the Tribute 12 & 14. A Pungo 120 will be huge for you.

Not advocating they need one
If you read thru the above posts from this OPer, they are terribly unclear on what a sea kayak is. Or is not etc.

The issue is not that they need a full sea kayak, but that they are actively trying to spend money on a kayak without understanding what they are buying. Hence the suggestion to go look at the real thing so they can tell the difference.

Not a sea kayak?

– Last Updated: Aug-12-11 1:27 PM EST –

The website says it is. Light touring...isn't that sea? Crap, I can't seem to find one.

Yes, yes I am planning on going and actually trying some out. But right now I'm looking online because I work all week. :) Just checking stuff out.

I don't plan on doing big waters, because frankly, I'm too scared at this point.

I need to stay within my budget too. I'm sure Sweetwater will straighten me out. I was sure the Tsunami was a sea kayak.

I'm still leaning toward the Pungo though, because of cost, and what I want to do. Plus, it's the only I actually paddled.

Yes it is

– Last Updated: Aug-12-11 1:39 PM EST –

It's just not a $2,000 sea kayak.

It will get you started and from the you tube posts you made that I looked at will probably suit your needs. Celia is just saying there are better boats out there and I'm saying not in the price range you mentioned. Don't try paddling to Aruba in it and enjoy. If you decide you need a better boat in a couple years you can get %75 of you money back, easily.

AS far as comparing the tsunami and the pungo, for only a couple hundred you go from one bulkhead to two, which makes a huge difference in storage and safety and 4 inches skinnier, which is going to make a big difference in ease of paddling.