QCC kayak?

Kyle you are my twin
I started w/ a Tempest 170 poly and added the 500X. I love both boats, and they have slightly different applications. Much of my paddling is extended tripping on Lake Superior. When the Q is fully loaded(and let me tell you, those hatches hold the whole kitchen, not just the sink), it is the finest boat around. A tank, perhaps, compared to its sleek brother 700, but a beauty to behold nonetheless. If not fully loaded, though, this beast gets pushed around by beam winds. I’ve learned that the hard way. It’s also tough to roll when fully loaded - you have to enter a slow motion mode to complete your roll. Come to think of it, that’s actually a good thing, since most of my biffed rolls happen when I rush things.

The Tempest, like all first loves, will always be in my heart. The British styling and rocker are fun in surf and waves, and the damned boat rolls itself. I usually let my less experienced friends or family members use this, as it is so forgiving in big or small water.

I really think you’d like this combination of boats. I will echo the others’ statements about the construction quality and customer service of QCC. I will not dispute the favorable claims about the 600 and 700. I just didn’t have the need for a speed demon when I bought my boat.

Now about those leaky hatches…(oops wrong thread).

Erik

With a 700, you won’t need/want both. NM

edovre, you must be my other brother.
i’m happy to hear that my progression isn’t too weird and far from normal. yes the more i sole search the more i realize that the majority of use will be for exercise (that is why weight and speed so important). i guess i’m a speed freak, but the more water covered makes me feel like i did that much more.

i’m going to try and keep the tempest, but depends on my wife (convincing to get 1 was hard enough). i’m going to demo as many boats in that speedier category and go from there.

Seda swift or impulse

Valley rapier

Epic 18X

QCC Q700X

Current D caribou or stratus

Eddlyline falcon or fathom

i hope no one gets the wrong idea and thinks i’m getting a new yak because i don’t like my tempest because i think it is GREAT. i just have different needs/priorities now.

too bad you don’t live here in northern cal so i could demo your QCC. :slight_smile:

thanks again for your input because every little bit helps.

KYLE

Let’s keep this alive…
… and see if anyone has a take for the 700 vs. the Eddyline Fathom. If I’m going to seriously consider the $2,500 Fathom I might as well look at the #3,000 or so 700 from QCC. They are probably similar in weight, materials are different, but what else, in terms of personality on the water?

Thanks!

So Kyle,
what did you decide to do. I’m in the same ‘boat’ now as I’m currently paddling a poly Tempest 170 and am looking for something with slightly more speed, although the Tempest is a great boat.

I’m considering the Epic 16x, QCC 500 or 700 (I’m 6’ 180 pounds and although the 500 may work, my research seems to direct me to the 700 but I don’t think I want an 18’ boat), or the NDK Romany or Explorer.

Living in Rhode Island near the ocean it will primarily be for play in the bay and ocean, rock gardening and day trips. I don’t see myself doing extended day trips although I can never rule that out!

As well, QCC has an awesome sale on now with 25% off but I think more research is needed so I don’t think I’m ready to pull the trigger just yet. Maybe this coming Spring.