QCC vs Impex Kayaks

I’m a huge fan of the susquehanna
more stable and more inhereantly maneuverable than the 6 or 700 but not as fast. M0re comfy cockpit for my large thighs. I just love that boat. I can fish in it; I can surf in it.

Both companies do really well with construction. Hatches on the susquehanna RH are truly water tight. Try the 5 and 7 and susquehanna if you can in conditions; you will decide for yourself. If speed is what you want take the 6 or 7. I am not a big fan of stff tracking impex boats (cannot fit into an outer island, Wish I could). I am a huge susquehanna fan.

What’s wrong with this hijack?
This big side discussion on rolling is funny. Used to be that “QCC vs. Anything” would stir up all sorts of heated BS all by itself!

Interesting how the QCC and Impex owners seem to have nothing against the other - and both say both are good - so far… Maybe being spoiled by good boats and customer service tempers us.

do the watusi
maybe I should have said a wide range of motion for ones torso?

My comments are specifically for beginning rollers who equate a low aft deck with ease of rolling, not the utility of a low aft deck in general.

I don’t have much of a rolling repetoire,my observation is seeing “intermediate/experienced paddlers” in a couple ACA IDW/ICE who had kayaks with low aft decks and they learned to roll by throwing their heads on the aft deck while sweeping up. The finish to their roll was pretty bad and they were easily upset to capsize again. My criticism wasn’t of a layback roll as I stated, it’s a misunderstanding of the basics and equating a low aft deck as a prerequisite to rolling.

My focus
on rolling has been over the past 20 years has been, “DON’T SWIM”!! So, my thing is not how many rolls one can do, rather will they survive and roll up after a big surf whoopin! But, I admire all those cool trick rolls and want at some point to have someone like yourself coach me through some of those. Figured a few out already with a greenland paddle that was given to me, and it’s FUN. It’s just way cool to watch, and can only enhance one’s calmness in the water, and add more tools to the bag of tricks. Roll on!

owning neither boat…

– Last Updated: Apr-18-06 5:35 PM EST –

it's hard to pick a fight! Sure the aesthetics of the QCC aren't my preference but it sure is a fast boat.

To get back on topic (sort of) I've rolled a QCC 600 and the Currituck and surprisingly there was no discernable difference between the two boats. They both rolled well although not exceptionally well. From a rolling standpoint, neither has the advantage so funpilot, I would look at other characteristics to determine which boat to choose.

open invitation…
Anytime you are near Appleton, WI, feel free to get in touch with me for an impromptu rolling session. I love teaching rolling so I’m always happy to work with folks.

Of course salty you have 10 times the experience I do, but I also proscribe to the don’t swim mentality although unfortunately I’ve had to swim almost every season so far (strainer, keeper hole, falling asleep balance bracing…) Pretty embarrassing for a guy who claims to have a bombproof roll! Maybe this season I can stay in my kayak like I’m supposed to! :slight_smile:

While I love learning and practicing new rolls, when I’m getting thrashed in whitewater or in surf, I’m definitely not setting up for a spine roll! I just stick a paddle out somewhere and roll up.

What a great response!!
Thanks so much for the responses. As you can well imagine, I am now overwhelmed with info that only testing will help resolve. But at least I think I have narrowed my search to these two manufacturers.

Cool, I’d like that…
Last time I swam was surfing the Ranch in California. Lost paddle in a dumper, got thrashed, hand rolled up only to get thrashed again near shore…helmit on gravel…wet exit. That was about 12 years ago, so I’m WAY past due for a swim! It’s never “if”, it’s “when”. Even though we kid about “bombproof” etc., Nature has a way of “revising” our thinking. As my pal says “we’re all between swims”

totally disagree on back deck determinin
An ndk explorer is super easy to roll for me. A q500 is not and it’s not about laying back (which I try to avoid) it’s about the shape of the boat.

Boat shape, or cockpit fit?
Pretty big difference between those two boats inside in the cockpit (or is that what you meant by shape?).

I can tell you a 700 is easier than a 500. Lower decks and less beam. Part of why I tell people to skip the 500.

If you take layback out of the equation, and outfit to get equivalent contact in an Explorer and a 700, the differences pretty much evaporate. For other comparisons I find my 700 about as easy as our Pintail, and Sparrow Hawk - as I can lock in when I need to about as well in each. A QCC that had no thigh braces and stock seat (as many order them) would be harder (but still not hard).