QCC yaks why are they so good?

Here a lot about these yaks. Are they really that good? How do they handle rough seas? Just curious. FishHawk

Yep, They are that good

– Last Updated: Apr-16-06 10:06 AM EST –

On the other hand not everyone will agree, there are as many folks who do not like them as there are than like them. A lot of subjective evaluations made by differant people turn out oppisite. Take a look at my post "Offshore Lesson", I paddled in my QCC and it was rough and the boat did much better than I did, LOL.

Why are they so good? Quality and design approach, I think. There is very little about the design of the boat that does not add to the performance of the boat. There is very little about the design that targets nitch wants and needs. Winters has used tried and true deshign principals which sometimes don't please the market but always work. And quality, QCC has done a great job in using quality materials and workmanship. The high quality allows them to provide a lifetime warranty on their product.

Happy Paddling,

Mark

initially
I just thought the boat was ugly. As I see more and more of them, and having just paddled with Greyak yesterday in his QCC (I had the Outer Island) I have to tell you that it glides beautifully and seems to not impair the paddlers ability in any way…hopefully I said that well.

I have also seen it in somewhat rough conditions at Hollover cut in Miami with Kris and it seemed to handle that just fine also. Long waterline, fast boat, exquisite craftmanship…not much to not like.

But as Kris said, if they could drop the back deck by 3 inches and the front by one…maybe even he would be happy.

The boat grows on you and gets better looking every day.

Paul

Build quality top notch
speed is certainly a the top end of the class.

Hatches have had minor niggles. Boat manners in rough water are really a personal choice.

why
Efficient design and good build quality. Hard to beat that for most applications.

They aren’t perfect. I can think of things I’d to differently on both the 600 and 700 for different applications but that is true of any boat.

I don’t like the hatches and if they are still using a rope controlled skeg I don’t like that either. The 600 I just sold has a slider skeg which is much better in my eyes.

I think they are designed as efficient gear haulers so they are often too much deck volume for day paddlers (that’s probably why I was happy in a Q600 despite weighing almost 200lbs, it seemed pretty low in volume to me at that weight and responded to my inputs moreso than to external forces).

So good compared to what?
They are certainly very well built, but the designs are bland, unimaginative and just leave me cold. IMO, they take the “form follows function” philosphy too far. There are lots of other good boats on the market, some of which may be superior if you’re looking for a rough water boat. If you post more specifics about your needs/wants, perhaps we can make some recommendations.

Price
I think a lot of the reason you hear such great talk about the QCC boats is the price. They’re mail order boats. No dealer mark up.

The eternal questions…
What is “good?” What is “quality?” Time for everyone to brush up on their Plato, or at least dig out that old copy of “Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintainance”…

The world is full of good boats that are wrong for what you want to do with them, or expect them to do.

Efficient design and good build quality.
Boat manners in rough water are really a personal choice.

I’m quoting two previous posts on this thread as they are a good summary of my take on QCC boats.

If you have access to a 600 or 700, by all means test paddle it.

Personally, I think it is very important to demo boats before purchasing.

And Fast.
I understand the 700 is pretty speedy in the right hands.

This is a loaded question

– Last Updated: Apr-16-06 2:03 PM EST –

Good compared to what? I have a QCC700 and an Arctic Tern. Since paddling the Tern, I leave the QCC home most of the time.
My motives for paddling have changed since I purchased the QCC. I am no longer interested in getting from point A to point B as fast as possible in a touring kayak.
The QCC is well built and has a great customer service. It is a less stable kayak than many and more fuss in following seas than I want to deal with these days. Like just about any kayak, it is manageable in moderate and even rough chop and wind but it does take some focus. Get fatigued and lose focus and BOOM, you go for a swim.
I keep mine around for when I need a second boat for a guest or my 12 year old son. And, as a good host, I offer my better kayak, the Tern, to my guest.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/547980630/2213924400054967390avqLQm

rough water
Quoting an earlier post:

“boat manners in rough water are really a personnal choice”

In rough water I prefer a long waterline and a relatively flat rocker, especially heading downwind. I prefer surfing. Boats like the tern wallow in following seas. They are generally easier to control but “better” is entirely a matter of perspective and preference.

That is why anyone should try lots of boats before buying and take the 30day trial on the QCCs seriously.

The Tern is a surfer!
Both the Tern 14 and 17 are surfing boats. Especially compared to the QCC. When a following quatering wave picks up the stern of a tern, she will point her bow forward and take off like a bat out of hell. Wallow? That is precisely what the round bottomed QCC does when it is taken by surprise from behind. If you don’t get proactive immediately, the wave will swing the stern forward around putting the whole 18 feet of hull parallel with the wave. This is the point when you will get to see how your underwear feels while riding around in the dryer.

They are good because…
They are of high quality, they are fast, they handle rough water beautifully, and their builders stand behind them.

Cheers,

jackL

I admire their
approach to customers and their business model. Look beautifully made. The designs are great for their intended use. Wouldn’t choose one to rock garden in, but long distance touring…why not? As for deck height / rolling, etc. if you’re at all skilled with rolling you subconsciously adapt to any boat.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
There are several QCC boats in these parts and I’ve paddled the 700 a few times. I really don’t like how they paddle and find them pretty ugly. I admire the quality and direct sales but that doesn’t change what I think of the boat.

I think that this board is some sort of QCC vortex. I’m suprised how pro-QCC people seem here to point that it seems that 80% of paddlers are out paddling them.

In other words, don’t believe the hype. Boat preference is very regional and depends on what dealers in the area are carrying and what most paddlers in the area are paddling. So newer paddlers see John-superstar out paddling Boat X, head to the dealer and see Boat X and decide that must be the best kayak.

Hmmm
waited almost a year and drove one direction four hours round trip to demo and another direction 7 hours round trip to buy…not sure if that “regional” aspect applies.

Bought the Outer Island from Impex Kayaks in Canada.

Florida’s biggest market by far is SOT’s.

Paul

Generally it does
Sure, many people go out of their way to buy boats. I test paddled my in Seattle and ordered right from Finland. But the vast majority of people are going to get what their local dealer has in stock. Especially people new to the sport.

Who cares if a boat is ugly.
What possible difference can it make? Hype? What hype? The board really seems divided in preference for Brit style or QCC style. Personally I find elf shoe boats rather strange looking. And QCC boats odd looking in a different way. But I would never even add that to the equation in boat choice. Liking how a boat paddles obviously is important. I have paddled my wife’s QCC600 some and like some things about it and not others. When I get back in my Eddyline it feels like going home. But I also know that first impressions about boats are almost always misleading. You can’t really tell about a boat until you have learned how to paddle it and have had significant experience in the seat.

you are probably right
especially if new to the sport. they are pretty much at the mercy of “experts” at paddleshops. We have some phenomenal ones here in Florida and also some pretty poor examples that I wouldn’t trust enough to know one end of a boat from the other.

Paul