Question for all GP Paddlers...

graphlite
My euro paddle is an Aquabound Carbon fiber, 31 ounces.

My GP is a BBK graphlite paddle at 26 ounces. I love it (and I also really like the Aquabound, but now it feels awfully heavy).

When I borrow my friends’ heavy greenland paddles, I hate them. So maybe you need to try a super light GP? Just think of all the extra time and/or money you could spend on yet another paddle!

The carbon GP sounds good…
…now if it wouldn’t drip water into the cockpit.

Due to aches and pains I’m really trying to limit repetitious movements. As of now I am using an unfeatherd euro with a medium angle wing stroke and as much rotation as I can get.

Carbon GP
I’ve only used a carbon GP once for a very short while, so take this with a grain of salt. I found the carbon GP too stiff for my liking. I like a little bit of flex that my wooden paddles have. I think they might be somewhat easier on the joints, but I have no evidence.

Here’s a thread that may be of interest.

http://www.qajaqusa.org/cgi-bin/GreenlandTechniqueForum_config.pl/noframes/read/14711

~wetzool

carbon GP
I worked with Mark Rodgers when he was developing the first Superior carbon GP’s way back when…I found it too stiff, as well. Many of the things I had grown to love with my Ponderosa Pine GP went down the toilet with the carbon GP. warmth, organic feel, flex, look. Granted it was a few grams lighter but this IMO did not compensate for the trade offs.

of course YMMV

steve

carbon GP
Just to give another data point to confuse the issue, but I love the stiffness of the Superior carbon GP. It gives a very clean, solid plant and very good power. My wood GPs are very stiff too – I only use vertical grain (quartersawn) lumber.

I like the feel of wood better than the feel of a carbon GP, however.

Many of the GPs that I borrow are simply too flexible for my taste. Your milage may vary…

Greg Stamer

Carbon GP
I have a Superior carbon and don’t like it as I have used a wood GP till last fall. Its a little too stiff as some said and at 88 inches, a hair too long, which is the other problem with the carbon model…you can’t trim length off of it like a wood one.

So Greg, you looking for another one?

;^)

Scott

I’m real picky too when it comes to flex
Mine have to flex a bit but not too much, probably why I’ve made so many but only like a few of them. You never can tell until you paddle it. But I do think I’d rather use a paddle that’s too stiff than one with too much flex, yuck.

Matt