question on Romany surf RM

Chatham 16

– Last Updated: Jan-10-11 10:59 AM EST –

Or a Zephyr? The Alchemy also looks like a fun boat...

If different from Explorer…
I’d suggest going to something from a different manufacturer. That’d get you a different design ethic and a much more different feeling than you’ll get between a Romany and an Explorer. The latter was designed from the Romany platform.

Valley boats have a pretty lively feel compared to the security built into the Romany/Explorer, but are still just fine on stability. They just feel different. The Chatham 16 can be a fun boat as well, and there are others.

I can’t vouch for what boat you’d like. But I would definitely suggest that if you are going to add you try another manufacturer’s line to get a different flavor.

"don’t have to be as careful with"
You’re careful with your Explorer? Really?

I think Celia’s suggestion is good in trying boats not so closely related to your Explorer if you want a different feel. If you are willing to try composite, I would suggest a Pintail or Nordlow. In poly, I think a Chatham 16 could be a blast. I haven’t paddled an RM Nordkapp, but if it is even half as lively as a Nordkapp LV, it may also be worth a try. Many I know favor Avocets as poly play boats.

yep
It’s a gem, and my back pain often bears that out. I miss having a poly boat where I didn’t wince every time I dragged it over rucks and stumps.

Carbon Chatham 16
Maybe a carbon Chatham 16 would be light enough not to drag but more fun than a poly boat?

http://www.neckykayaks.com/kayaks/touring/Chatham_16_Composite/