Questions for sit and switch paddlers

racing canoes
Marathon racing boats have minimum width requirements. Otherwise the folks with the narrowest behinds and narrowest boats would usually win. The wings satisfy the requirements without adding much wetted surface area.

more power to you Erik…
I was not trying to flame you, just point out that these strangely designed hulls are not the best for recreation. Your post lead me to believe that you might not have known what you were getting into. I’ve known many marathon racers and the only reason they invest in hulls like this is a serious training track. I had not seen anyone buy one of these for recreation. If this is your idea of fun, go for it. BTW, going pro is not my term. Most coaches are just friends or club members.

Pagayeur

really lean
and move the seat forward, not back.

moving a C1 seat back makes the boat track better in almost all conditions.

and you really have to lean the boat, i mean really. if you have the balance, it will carve on its own, even more so with a solid sweep while still on the edge.

No problem
Took the boat out again yesterday for an easy paddle – 3 miles upstream to a dam, 3 miles back. Its actually not a bad boat for just puttering around – it pretty much goes straight regardless of what you do.

Found a quiet spot and tried to do some buoy turns. Leaning back and doing a stern pry and got me maybe a 30-degree turn. Didn’t have much luck with the post – with the boat healed over and the short bent shaft paddle (50”), its hard to get the paddle forward enough to get the stern to skid – assuming that’s what I should be trying to do.

Gave up on that and went up to the dam to do some ferries and back ferries in the current. By sticking the bow into the current, and holding the rest of the boat in the eddy with a reverse sweep, I was able to get a quick 180-degree turn – not that that will help me in a race.

When I had enough of that, I cruised the 3 miles back to the put-in in about 15 minutes. No serious training involved. Not a bad way to kill a couple of hours.

You’re crackin’ me up
Bring that thing to Satans, we’ll see if we can get her to do spins!!! :wink:

Maybe…
It surfs OK - just keep it straight.

lean…
when you do “lean” your boat you’ll want to try to push the front of the boat more so that pulling on the follow thru. Trying to pull the stern causes a small wake to prevent the boat from going the direction you’re pulling. Emphasize the push on your paddle catch. Also minimize the leans, you’ll want to be efficient really try to have the boat in position for your turn before you get there. HAVE FUN!