raw knuckles

How to shorten a paddle
This part seems to be getting badly misunderstood and I really don’t know why. Shorten is not one of the more uncommon words in the language.

To the OPer - what I mean is that you get a lightweight paddle now, and when you want to move to a boat that would take a narrower one you send the paddle to the manufacturer to be shortened. That is, they cut length off the shaft and reattach the blades so that you now have a shorter paddle. Outfits like Werner and Epic and Swift, the name brands, all can do this (and have for our paddles). It is usually much cheaper than than buying a new nice lightweight paddle and leaves you happy with your paddle over an extended life.

Not here
My hands get cold easy and I live in gloves most of the year. I don’t see it causing anyone to grip harder, let alone usually. And if you are opening your hand on each stroke a little (as you should be for touring) even less of a likely issue.

Swift paddle for free
I have a 240 cm. Swift paddle I will give to you if you pay the shipping.

No Gloves!?!?
I’m not sure what the relation is between wearing gloves and gripping tighter.

True most beginner paddles tend to grip too hard, gloves or not. It’s a habit which should be avoided.

My hands blister easily when they’re wet, and the ocean is cold year-round, so I wear gloves all year.