Re-entry & Roll

foot pumps
I originally consider installing a foot pump but after seeing a few videos of them in action decided against it. The very very slow. The ones I saw looked much slower than a standard hand pump. Plus I also “heard” they tire the heck out of your leg by the time your empty being very in-efficient pumps. But this is only what I read and saw online. My electric pump shoots out water super fast at 500 GPH at 12 volts and I use 14.6 volts so sure that makes it even faster.

Or automated pumps.
I want to get into surfing and I know that I will need a pumping solution (have a bombproof roll, but in surf, what does that mean?) SO I am currently installing an auto pump. The re enter and roll seems like a good way to re enter in surf, since you don’t have to worry about messing up the self rescue - you’re already upside down.

The standard "pumping solution"
when you have to bail in surf is to swim your boat to the beach (if you haven’t already been deposited on it) and dump it.

Even if you’re surfing off-shore, if you have to swim, the first task is to get youself and your boat out of the break zone before trying to deal with pumping, etc.

I guess it depends on the conditions

spray skirt clamps
The las time I turned over at sea I was taken by surprise by a wave on my stern and I had a wet exit. I am still learning to roll and for the moment I have a 1% chance for succes. My companion emptied the kayak but when klimbing in, the kayak took water again. So all the effort of emptying was a waist of time and effort in those conditions. Paddling with water in the kayak in waves, even when they don’t break, is very exhausting because the stability is very bad. I had to call for help again in order to make a raft. That way, with the clamps in place, I could pump out most of the water out of the kayak. It was even possible for my companion to take over pumping once in a while.