Real world MPG's

Auto…
…with the sport shift. I love this car. It’s like a go kart!

My Ranger not so good
2000 Ranger, Glass Topper, 2.5 liter 4 cylinder, automatic tranny, one kayak last week Fort lauderdale-Lake City 23 miles per gallon, speed hard to determine due I was taking the liesurely route through the small towns. I thinhk this is still pretty goo for my truck.

VW TDI sound tempting

Brian

2002 Ranger SuperCab
Mine has the 3.0 V6 and 5-speed manual. I usually get 22 mpg commuting to work 19.5 miles each way. On a long road trip, 25+mpg. Around town, about 19.7. Carrying 2 boats on top, about 2 mpg less at freeway speeds. Sometimes I drive from Fairfield to the Mendocino coast using HWY 101 at 70 mph and CA 128 to HWY 1 with a passenger and 200 lbs. of gear(no boats) and get an overall 25.4 mpg.

check this site
http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/ I have been using this combo in my two trucks for a couple weeks now. Seems to be working well.

1200 miles Mazad b series

– Last Updated: Oct-08-05 3:00 AM EST –

Got about 24-26 mpg during a recent trip to south caralina.
thats with the the trip up the hills included. lost some power but not enegh to bother me, driving through the mountians. that was pretty good considering i was hauling two sots. not bad for a 5 speed 4 cylder.
BUt i have learned to watch the rpms closly and seldom see them go higher than 2500. plus i shift at lower rpms, and now coast to stops. if you drive the truck like its stolen, then 22mpg or less.

2004 Chevy Tracker
2.5 V6. About 18mpg on highway 65 - 75mph with or without boats on roof rack. I recently checked the tires and upped the pressure from Chevy’s recommended 24 psi to the tire mfg’s recommended 32 psi, and milage is closer to the 22 mpg epa rating that was on the sticker when I bought it. FWIW, when I have the ski rack on in the winter it knocks 2-3 mpg off. The kayak pads seem to have little effect on mpg.

1997 Outback
with blown/replaced headgaskets. This car always smells like burning oil, but still gets okay mpg.

400 mile rt to Bowling Green OH with yakima 58 inch bars but no boats or accessories. 80% highway/ 20% city: 25 mpg.

Yesterday…
Without boat or rack I got 30mpg with speeds about 58-63mph.

Ken

My Outback XT
My 05 turbo charged Outback has been modified. I put a new catless larger diameter up pipe, a larger diameter down pipe with a single racing cat., remapped the computer and put a high flow air cleaner element in the car. It’s supposed to now make around 300 crank horsepower and 340 crank ft. pds. torque. If you put your foot in it it really goes. A lot of bang for the buck. My over all mileage without racks on is 22-23 mpg. With racks it’s around 19.5-20 mpg. On the interstate with three boats on the car at 75 mph it gets around 18 mpg. What are you going to do…small price to pay for so much fun! Franklin

34 mpg at 70mph with my Saturn SW2
My sporty little 5-spd 1999 Saturn SW2 station wagon with a 14+’ Looksha Sport and a very wide 8’ Yak Board on top got 34 miles per gallon at 70mph on a nice long flat section of US 101 in central coastal Calif. – I’ve really been impressed with this car as far as value goes. It was cheap used ($6900 at a near mint 55k miles), is sort of small/unrefined and a little noisy, handles great, and it’s light enough that the little 125hp 4-banger makes it quite quick when revved up (0-60 in 8.7 or something). More typical Mileage on northern US 101 in low mountains is 32 or so going a touch slower.

Mini Cooper
Freeway with one kayak on top cruising during early morning with little traffic at about 65 MPH…gets about 34 MPG. Drops to 27 MPG at 80 mph plus.

55 saves
1997 Expedition, 2wd, 4.6 L, Mad River Monarch on roof

• Atlanta to Tybee Island - 55 mph interstate speed (passed no one) - 24.5 mpg
  • Tybee Island to Atlanta - 80 mph interstate speed - 17.5 mpg

I typically drive 55-60, on cruise, in the right lane. Particularly with boats on the roof (since wind drag increases non-linearly), the additional speed really kills mpg.

Mini-SUV’S seem to avg 22-26
… or there abouts from reading the above. Under ideal conditions, they’re in the high 20’s when driven conservatively with a light load and no boats up top.

My dear departed Geo Tracker(aka Suzuki 1997 4cyl 5 spd) averaged about 29-31 lightly loaded (few in-town miles - I live 5 miles out from a very small town) and 26-28 with a 15 ft canoe. Having rolled that little gem on an icy road (shoulder berm flipped it), I replaced it with a high-milage Toyota 4 Runner (1996/127k/3.4l V-6 auto) that consistently gets 20-22 highway and around 19 with a canoe attached.

This seems pretty decent considering that it’s a real 4wd that can take rough roads in stride with it’s low-range capability. It’s the most gas frugal “tough” SUV I know of … and it seems very reliable. Putting on a set of tough tires (10 ply Michelins) makes it a somewhat harsh riding rig but one I have a lot of trust in overall.

My work rig is a 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser (built before SUV"s were pimped out) and it gets about 15 mpg regardless of load. It has an old straight six that is essentially a copy of a 1950’s Chevy engine … but made with modern materials and controls. It probably drops 1 mpg with a boat racked above … but then I drive slower and so it’s hard to see it in the log during trips.

More data
Recent trip from St Albans WV to Ohiopyle PA to Marysville PA to Raystown Lake and back to WV.

Suby OB with kayak and cargo box on roof, hilly routes I-79, I-68, and a nasty headwind on the return leg.

Net MPG = 24.0

Jim

18 at 80 MPH
Our 94 Buick Roadmaster gets 18 at 80.

I set the cruise and go.

In mixed driving it gets 16-17.

Tow a Pop-up trailer and haul the canoe 15 mpg at 80 MPG.

16-18 MPG
with or with out boats. 96’ GMC Sierra. I put em in the bed so, no more wind drag.

Real World MPG’s
In a recent fall paddling trip to the Sylvania Wilderness Area in the U.P. of Michigan: 2002 GMC Sierra 4 x 4 extended cab pick-up, 2 adults + 3 younger teens, lotsa stuff, canoe trailer w/2 canoes & 1 kayak - 13.75 mpg for 500 miles @ 60 - 70 mph. The two tankfuls prior, mostly highway w/ driver only were around 16.5 mpg. The last trek to the BWCA with a truck full of people and gear pulling the canoe trailer with five or six canoes I averaged around 16 mpg, so didn’t do quite as well this time. Can’t say anything about the last trip up into Ontario with the same load, they don’t sell gas in units I can calculate!

Too bad, it used to be food, permits, and other provisions were the biggest expense. Now driving is.

Good thing we have lots of good water to paddle on here in WI that’s fairly close.

Jim

While I drive
a vehicle that gets relatively good mileage, I am usually alone. You should get credit for hauling five bodies - your net is over 68 MPG for the trip, in my estimation.

Jim

mpg
My honda insight has a lifetime mpg of 64.6 MPG. This is over 48,000 miles. It has never gotten lower than 60 mpg. I once drove 683 miles on 9.2 gallons of gas!