Reality of Paddling Alone

Paddling Alone
If you paddle alone, call someone to let them know where you are going and what time to expect you back. I carry a cel phone in a dry bag and of course wear a PFD

Paddling alone is OK
It depends a lot on your attitude, skills, and knowledge not only of paddling per se but also of weather systems, tidal currents, and a lot of other variables. You need to keep the time and place you choose to paddle well within your abilities. Even then, sh*t happens. The idea is to prepare as well as you can, be conservative, and make sure you always have a Plan B (maybe Plan C, too) if the original plan looks like it’s going downhill.

I paddle alone more often than I do with other people and don’t give it a second thought, never have. But a big difference is that I started kayaking in an inland state and began upgrading skills years before I moved to northwest Washington. I wanted to hit the water running and not have to play catch-up too much, since we intended to retire near the sea. That effort definitely paid off.

I took lessons from some excellent BCU instructors on east, west, and gulf coasts. The money is absolutely worth spending for this! (Even better than expensive lightweight boats or other equipment-based expenditures–assuming your boat fits you and you have adequate immersion wear).

In WA, I took lessons with Body Boat Blade, driving (in 2007) and flying (in 2009) there from CO just for this purpose. I second the other poster’s recommendations to study with them. And listen to what they say; don’t waste your or their time by going for instruction and fighting what they say. That doesn’t mean you have to end up agreeing with everything they do, but in the beginning you should at least try (really try, not just a few times) what they recommend.

To make those lessons stick, I also practiced. Diligently. Almost always by myself, and still is the case. If you really want to progress, you have to be willing to do a lot of solo training and analyzing of what works best. In other words, you get to the point where you don’t rely on an instructor to troubleshoot everything. There are some actions that require a paddling partner, of course, but most of it you can do alone. Also, a lot of things can be practiced right next to shore. By going alone, you free yourself of coordinating with other people’s schedules and goals. You can always mix it up: do some with and some without partners.

Since you must be a strong swimmer, you’re that much ahead psychologically as well as knowing what the water temp feels like! As others have said, a drysuit would be best for these waters most of the year. That said, I paddle more often in a full wetsuit than in the drysuit…unless I either know or think there will be a lot of capsizing (planned or unplanned). When I was learning to roll, the drysuit made the difference between actually enduring cold water vs. having to cut things very short. So I would recommend going for the drysuit first even though it is more costly. Don’t forget good neoprene for your hands, feet, and head!!!

Thanks pikabike!
You don’t have to say if not comfortable, but whereabouts are you!? So glad that so many people are familiar with the area on this site. Outside of this “community” I find myself having to really explain where our house is haha. Most people seem to know exactly the area here!

I’ve heard many people recommend body boat blade even before finding this forum so I think it will be worth it. Do you think it’s important to practice in my specific kayak or will any kayak suffice? I ask because they are on orcas and I don’t feel like dealing with bringing my kayak on the ferry…

Use what you have
I hear you about the ferry thing.

If the Merlin XT fits you, practice in that. You might, however, rent a kayak from BBB to use in their lesson–talk to them about that. At home, though, use what you already have.

I’m on the Olympic Peninsula. Short distance from the San Juans…by boat or plane. A bit of an ordeal if a car is involved.

good advice, but…
I think your advice to take all the right classes is good advice, but there are other routes to becoming a able kayaker in our area- the Puget Sound. The most important thing is putting yourself out there. If you survive, you’re going to come out a good paddler. The problem is you might put yourself in danger along the way. For example, lets say you decide to solo paddle from Washington Park to Cypress Island and don’t know about the currents in that area. you could get in trouble.

For those who don’t have the money to spend or don’t want to spend a lot of money on instruction (some message board commentators call some of the instruction “pay to play”), I think they can also learn what they need to know. Also some of the instruction by WKC and Mountaineers is done by volunteers and is inexpensive.

My understanding (hope) is that those who put in the time and do the adventurous trips are going to be the most able paddlers, whether or not they had a lot of instruction. Weekend warriors who take all the right classes are not necessarily going to be able paddlers in these waters.

None of what I said refutes what your suggestion to take good instruction. Just want to give my take on it.

people been paddling solo many years
before the neophyte, who came up with that phrase, was born. When it comes to WW then I can plainly see it, but honestly it’s easier when you don’t have to worry about a passenger or two making it home in good shape.

paddling solo
Paddling the area around Anacortes is dangerous because of all the tidal currents and rips, the water temperature, power boats and fog. It is really not possible to avoid all of the problems so you need to be aware of them. The barges, ferries, and ship traffic commands respect. Be careful crossing the Straits like Haro and Rosario.

I would not paddle at night, and I would dress for immersion even in summer. Practice bracing, rolls, wet exits and self-rescue in rough conditions. Until you are competent at all of those don’t paddle alone.

That’s what I meant by practice
Weekend warrior syndrome does not constitute much practice time. Taking good instruction and “getting out there” are not mutually exclusive. Nobody spends all their paddling time in lessons. In between the lessons is just as important to learning.

I agree …
You read these posts and you think the person is asking about sky diving with no experience. Hoards of paddlers are not dyeing because they paddled alone. Common sense rules and unfortunately you read about people who act stupidly on the water. I believe in safety, knowledge and experience but to go for a paddle in safe, calm conditions with easy access to a landing spot is fine for any beginner. Just always wear the PFD and don’t venture too far away until you know what you’re doing.

Casual thoughts
Body Boat and Blade is more than worth the time, or any other group that can help bring you along with the right stuff. Feeling safer on the water because you know how to handle problems is priceless.

My husband and I finally went out and learned some skills because we wanted to go to the offshore islands we could see, and after one run-in with a surprise squall we realized we needed to know more to do it safely. But the sense of freedom once we that foundation down was wonderful - completely changes the paddling experience.

Unfortunately, a problem with sea kayaking in an area like you are in is that you can get pounded with a ton of information very quickly. The litany of things that can go wrong is a lot longer than the concerns on a small mountain pond.

So a few casual thoughts on how to order it all -

Once you can reliably get back into the boat from the water in a given set of conditions (at first calmer water), you can relax when paddling those conditions. The worse that happens is you fall in. So find out how many times you can do that before it gets too tiring and call that your paddling limit.

Tidal currents have predictable paths. Get or print out from an online source (folks out there can advise best on the source) charts and mark where the currents run hard with a grease pencil. Then don’t paddle there, at least until you know better how to handle that.

Same thing for beaches with breaking waves - you will find that tidal state can affect that. Mark them off too until you know how to handle surf. Surf landings are thrilling, but a badly executed one can also land you in the hospital.

You will find that the array and cost of gear for sea kayaking out there can be staggering. I would suggest that you focus on a smaller set of really good stuff that will take care of primary needs - one good garment for immersion protection, a good VHF radio and something that can help you get home if a fog bank rolls in. And always spare paddles, even if the first set of spares is a cheapo set off of eBay. Stay within the confines of the gear you have while you are getting used to things.

It is entertaining to watch people who have done this for years pull one after another cool device out of their boat at breaks. But most of it was acquired over some years, and many are on their second warrantied replacement of the dry suit from Kokatat.

You are in a great area for paddling. It’ll be hard to run out of paddling up there.

What gear do you need?
I pretty much only surf kayak anymore and I have a lot of gear accumulated from some years in the industry. Gronseth has some of it on consignment in Issaquah but I have some older neoprene stuff, dry tops, Lendal paddles etc lying around. I’d just donate the stuff if it would help you get going. In Valdez for work but back mid June.

I know the San Juans extremely well and am happy to offer help, a few secrets etc. I agree that the BBB folk seem excellent instructors and Island Adventuresin town have lessons, but you may find others like yourself who you can team up with. I also thing George Gronseth’s Kayak Academy is a good outfit. Taught surf classes years ago for him. There’s quite an alumni there that you may hook up with.

?

Capable background for a novice.

Yes, use a dry suit or semi dry suit.

VHF, cell phone, GPS with Blue Charts.

I use a full expedition rig with a similar background.

You would believe there are paddlers out there. There are few. Idea is since many people paddle here paddling should be easy.

Frankly, most Seattle area paddlers are ‘uneasy’ paddling the Islands. I have interviewed the lot. An orca tour is one paddle, a circumnavigation another.

There is the ferry. Routing adjacent the ferry, going with tide and wind, not across Rosario…what difficulty could there be ?

The weather changes, often around the corner into a different weather system from Cascades, Olympia, down from Seattle, up Juan de Fuca, the Chuckanuts.

A fine summer’s day around the point becomes a small craft warning.

There is a bore down Juan de Fuca.

Haro Strait is simply done. Stay near the Island. Tide out, tide in. Wonderful water. Practice in Smallpox Bay.

Indian Cove on Shaw has camping and practice.

Lake Wheenatchee, Tumwater camping.

Skawacoma on the Columbia !

Try Dungeness Spit for eagles and a look at the entrance rip.

John Wayne and sandbar has practice at low tide.

I would read Washburne and the treatise on predicting WA weather. Good weather is mediocre weather before an incoming Hi. There are Bahamas days but not many.

Weather where you’re located is not as good as weather in the rain shadow.

? more

also Similk and Skagit Bay with a view of the volcanoes on a clear day, a trip down the Skagit from Rockport or Marblemount.

Awesome!
You guys are all fantastic, thanks! Just got back from work (whale-watching) and saw a ton of new posts.

I should clarify that the house we own is in Anacortes but my husband is in the Navy and we still have time on his contract so currently we are in San Diego until next winter, so I have a lot of time to save up money for lessons and gear. Just wanted to have a head start for when I arrive. We make it up there a couple of times a year but we won’t be full-time until next winter, which is likely NOT when I’ll start the quest to paddle alone :slight_smile: I feel confident paddling with others when I go up this summer (I need to test out the new boat!) but will probably not be going alone for a while.

Thanks again!

I’m confused.

– Last Updated: May-24-14 8:57 AM EST –

sonnyjane, your profile says you are a male, but you say your "husband" is in the Navy. These days, who knows what is what.

Good point
but I often use one as well, and certainly when offshore by any significant distance. I use mine to tether the paddle to the boat and never let go of the paddle. Most tether the paddle to themselves, but I think it’s easier to maintain contact with the boat in wind if I use this method.

It is built like a telephone cord, so it isn’t overly long and is very stretchy and doesn’t interfere, even during rolls. Decent optional safety item, if you don’t use it in moving water.

Rick

When you guys get to town
Stop into Island Adventures on Commercial. Anacortes Kayak Tours is in the same building and can give you good info. If Whale Watching is a profession for you talk to Shane at Island Adventures or Monte at Mystic Sea for potential work. You folks will love the area.

Oops!! Female!!

– Last Updated: May-24-14 12:16 PM EST –

Oops! New profile haha! I'm most definitely a girl. I'll update that.

We lived there previously before we moved to San Diego and I actually worked for IA on the whale watching side so I'll reach out to the kayak folks. I didn't want to be an imposition with newbie questions they are good people so sounds like they won't be too bothered.

San Diego paddle club
San D has an online paddle club whose members will suggest all cold showers, ocean swims acclimating your a/c system to Northern waters

Aqua Adventures on Mission Bay
Since you’re in San Diego now, take advantage of Jen Kleck’s expertise. Her kayak shop, Aqua Adventures, is right on the water at Mission Bay, and she rents and instructs. She is one of the best. Even though that area doesn’t have the constraints of the currents in the Puget Sound area, you can get comfortable learning on flat conditions on Mission Bay and ramp up from there, including learning to handle a sea kayak in surf in LaJolla.

In the warm season, the shop holds Thursday evening paddles that day-job workers can attend. Wintertime brings pool practice (rolling), and I believe you can get private instruction at any time of year. Contact Jen and tell her what you told us here. Tell her where you and your husband will be moving, so she knows what you will have to contend with later.

As an added bonus, Aqua Adventures has (or had) a great deal wherein you could pay about $300 for a whole year of renting a kayak from them that is kept right there. No need to transport your own kayak under that arrangement, plus you can try other models of kayaks. This is the ONLY shop I know of that does this.

Seriously, if you can get to AA without too much trouble, you might as well dive in and start with excellent instruction and equipment right away. Jen is great to work with.