really need front and rear tie downs?

Seem we have misunderstandings…
about what the bow and stern ties do. They don’t hold the boat on the car. They are not for additional holding power over the rack alone. They can offer some stabilization and put less stress on the rack - but should not be tight - so can’t really offer much support. The rack still does the work.

The real purpose is safety. IF the rack or a strap fails - these will keep the boat with the vehicle long enough to pull over. May save a boat, may save a life.

The visual refernce is also very important. I’ve never had a real problem - but did have one yak twist in the saddle, and that let the strap get loose, and it then slipped off the saddle (down to the cross bar only 2" below). Couln’t go anywhere - but a loose boat is not good. I would not have been able to tell if the bow tie down had not gone slack. Eventually it would have become a bigger problem.

I always put them on my sea kayak. The toggles/U-bolts up there make it easy.

On the other hand, I don’t put them on the surf ski - and it’s 3 feet longer. No where to tie them.

Another point we need to consider is vehicle roof length. Maybe racks that are 6 feet apart on and SUV need them less than my compact car with sub 3 ft rack spacing? Maybe - but safety is safety and a backup is a backup.

I would not recommend web straps for the bow and stern ties as they catch the wind and flutter (very fast). Over time this will cause a failure in the web.

On the rack itself too - whenever there is a place the web straps is in the air from one point to another (and not down on a surface) - and it can flutter - be sure to put a twist in it to prevent this. Doesn’t take long to shear a web strap in half at highway speeds if left flapping.

Use Three Straps
If you are absolutely sure your rack won’t fail (who really is?), a nice lazy man’s way is to use two straps on the bow saddle and one on the stern saddle.

I know people who haul kayaks for a living. Some use only two straps, but some use lines.

The three-strap method is a nice compromise, but ONLY for use with a good rack system which is BOLTED onto your vehicle. (My rack system is bolted to my truck).

For Those

– Last Updated: Apr-05-04 6:57 PM EST –

Who haven't used rope much, I would recommend the type that has the individual strands, which are twisted together instead of the braided type.
When untying knots, you can take the "twisted" style and pinch it up near the knot and twist it, which will compress it some and allow you to shove it back through the knot.
The braided type just splays out when trying to shove it back through.

The method I use for the ends when I cut it to keep it from fraying is it to get about 1/2" of duct tape pulled off the roll but still leave it attached. Place the end of the tape on the rope where you want to cut it, then let the roll itself go while holding on to both sides of the rope with the tape in the middle.
This puts tension on the tape and keeps it snug to the rope while you twist the rope around making sure to keep it good & tight.
You will actually be pulling the tape off the roll while turning the rope, which helps keep it tight.
After you get what you think you need on there, simply tear the tape and finish wrapping it around the rope, then take a sharp knife & cut down through the middle of the tape and both loose ends are done.

When first using this method it's always easier to have another person hold the rope in front of you using two hands while you apply the tape, but, with a little practice it's pretty easy doing it alone, fast too.

I used to just melt the ends but found that this method works better for me and keeps the ends tighter.

Jack

Paddle_pirate & Davidh…
Relax guys, I am just kidding about the insurance claim (Although I wouldn’t mind having all the money I have “wasted” on it over the years.).

I actually have my bow-line attached to acouple loops around my hood supports between the windshield & the hood. The lines don’t rub the hood or attach to the bumper. Have had 85mph trips with NO PROBLEMS. And the stern-line attaches to the spare tire rack (Blazer) on the back. Low profile & very effective.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

I have even
seen factory racks loosen. Had it happen to me once on the freeway. Luckily I had attached bow and stern lines to the canoe. Also used to drive truck , can’t stress enough the use of enough tie down points.

Yakima racks can come loose
My son in law has Yakima racks on his volkswagen golf - hauls an Old Town Tripper on it. But it was hauling plywood 4*8 ft sheets when the racks came loose. Did lots of damage to the car following even though he was only going about 25 mph, thank heavens no one hurt. I hate to think what might have happened if that Old Town Tripper had come off when he was going 70 mph.

My canoe/kayak carrier is a Honda Civic and one of the things I like most about it is that the car comes with tie rings - two in the front and one in the back. I have a Yakima rack on it and always tie two lines on the front and one on the back. Only takes an extra minute.

I actually purchased the Civic over other choices because I was looking for a small car and the civic came with tie downs. Of course I also thought it was a pretty decent car. I don’t know why all vehicles don’t come with them as it makes life so much easier for us recreation type folks.

I don’t know what is necessary, but I
haven’t lost a boat. Straps to a solid rack + fore and aft tie-downs, with 1/4" nylon. Both of my canoes have a sound hawse pipe to tie to. The problem we have with both cars is that most of the fronts are Tupperware, nothing to tie to. I fasten loops of seat belting to the front body mounts under the hood on each side and tie a line to that. A bowline on one side a trucker’s hitch with a couple of 1/2 hitches and I am in business.

I don’t use bungee cords. The good news is they stretch, the bad news is they stretch.

u da man then.

how do you set it up
My minivan front is tupperware also. On the reat there is a trailer hitch, so attaching a line is no problem. Could you explain a bit more about how your system is arranged?

worth the extra 3 min.
I saw this post on Sunday and went out Monday evening. So I timed how long it took to tie down the bow & stern. 2.5 minutes, which to me is time well spent, 5 minutes out of my paddle, for the peace of mind. I’ve heard or seen too many strange things happen on the freeways.

Use Cinchits
See my post above. They will anchor in any door.hood/hatch. Buy 'em or make your own.

Jim