Reasoning for PFD mounted knife

my folder is my back up knife.
Trust my fixed blade more when I really need it( hopefully never)

Yep, trot lines
had a friend that got snagged on his pfd luckily, he was stuck all but good, but a quick pull of the knife and he was free.

I Am With You
I trust a FB much more. I carry it high on my PFD shoulder strap and have not had any problems with it tangling on anything yet.

I got a whole slew of folders but these are secondary carries in the outdoors. I much prefer a traditional FB, in a drop point or clip point configuration.

sing

Scuttle - Webster
"to make or open holes in the hull or deck of a ship or boat below the waterline; especially to sink in this way"

Well bathe me in bilgewater, thought it might be something a might more amiable for pondrin :-). Guess’ll be handin o’er me M&Ms!

I just realized ----

– Last Updated: Jul-23-04 10:35 PM EST –

I have had a folding Air Force survival knife for years;don't even remember where I got it.It has a on one end and what looks like a gut hook with a blade on the other. That must be made for cutting lines , as in parachute.
Cool.

Armed…
…AND dangerous!

I use a modified chisel
tip on my knife. Don’t want to puncture myself , my boat or my pfd .

knives
use mine to cut fishing lures and tackle out of trees in the lake and give to kids using a stick and string

May need it someday, have used it
quite a bit, don’t really need a reason. It’s like a safety kit. Why do you have it???

knife use
Ha!!! Love it, you go girl

Cutbait
How else do you make cutbait?

That and entanglements.

I prefer my cheese individually wrapped.

Tim

Don’t carry one on my PFD…
uh… because I don’t always wear my PFD.

My wife, my stepson and I each carry one of these:

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=749751

on our belts for entanglement issues when fishing in fresh water. Trot-lines scare me.

Also carry an inexpensive but very sharp folding knife that’s simple to open with one hand. It’s part of my daily wear. I use it daily for a variety of tasks. I guess it’s attributable to my southern roots. I always have one and it’s (almost) always sharp. About the only time you’ll find me without a pocket knife is if I’m flying.

Cutting animals loose from lines that
hang from trees with large hooks.

For 20+ years I have carried my diving knife while paddling. A diving knife is serrated on one side, sharp edged on the other, and a prybar at the end. I have used it infrequently, but when needed, it came in very handy.

Since coming to this area, I have used it often. I have freed both wild and domestic animals (in once case a very large dog that had tangled in the line and was on the edge of the river). I have seen everything from an owl to racoons in these lines.

This is a free country and everyone has the right to do what he/she believes to be correct, as long as it is legal. But to hang unbreakable lines from trees over the water’s edge is very dangerous, and in many cases, inhuman, as it catches animals it was not intended for.

Additionally, many of these lines are simply left and never checked. I paddle the same stretch of this river 3 to 5 days per week and seldom, if ever, see anyone attending these lines.

I will never be without a knife after seeing the carnage these lines leave. 9 out of 10 times I am too late to help the animal in question.

It is just a matter of time before a kayaker or canoeist loses an eye or becomes otherwise injured in this device.

Jack

Be careful…
We had a local boater lose an eye when he attempted to cut a great blue heron loose from a tangled fishing line. The bird, out of instinct, and self-preservation, caught him in the eye with that long, sharp beak.

Thank you for the warning! Sorry to
hear about the person who lost an eye, especially in an attempt to help.

It concerns me every time I free an animal. If I can’t get strategically located, I fear getting bit, scratched or hooked. Racoons are especially dangerous as they will attack when approached.

I have freed several blue heron as they appear to be survivers in that they do not over do it and perish quickly. Unfortunately, and as you say, they will attack when frightened.

I built a hand held device, much like a snake or dog draw loop. When I can get it over the head or part of the body, it makes the job much easier.

I also fashioned a net that has special purpose

use and has worked well.

Thanks again for the warning.

Jack

pirates
Are you aware that August 22(?) is national Talk Like a Pirate Day?

Learned the hard way
A lesson I watched happen. When I was young and in the Boy Scouts we used to canoe occasionally down the local river.

One of the scouts was ducking under a limb and did not see the fishing lure dangling down. It hooked him just above the eye. Unfortunately it was on some strong line. He was holding his boat in place on moving water by a fishing lure firmly embedded in his skin.

Did anyone have their handy knives at hand–nope, we were in swimming trunks–no pockets. Luckily the assistant scout master had the camp axe lying in his boat and he was able to cut the line freeing the kid. We were able to cut and remove the lure at next rock bar using tools packed away. Lesson learned–knives are handy.

Thanks for the Reminder
I heard that once before, forgot.

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr matey

Emergency Knife Alternative
A kayak teacher brought this tidbit to the groups attention while answering questions or however it came about.

Some paddles, I say some paddle blades have a sharp enough edge to cut through some lines in an emergency. Werner Camano for one, maybe the swift paddles, not sure about most others though.

Brian

I Don’t
I don’t clip my knive to my vest because I’m not a rafter. That is what they are desgned for. Rafters may have to quickly cut someone from the raft’s rigging. I carry mine in a PDF pocket.

I slice cheeses and meats before starting out. Pocket knives get filthy doing that.