Rebuild old town kevlar 49 candie be

Ok I get it. Thinner fabric less of an edge to try and hide or sand out… and possibly less issue with raised edges. The more I think on it … the more sense a thinner fabric makes… I’ll definitely use fiber glass… and probably get some lighter fabric. I watched a few home vids… the fellow cut the 3 layers in a slightly oval pattern… I’m definitely avoid the straight edge…
Pblanc I can’t thank you enough! I’ll definitely post some pics once I get started… my main focus before I even think about applying the patch is getting the temp outwales on and getting the 2 pieces lined up and stable . This damage is better defined as a split rather than a crack… you saw the pic … I been building raised bed planters and working on lawnmower… lol can’t wait to get started on this…
Thanks again and have a happy day!

Continuing the discussion from Rebuild old town kevlar 49 candie be:

My gunwale cutting jig!
Scored on 20’ cypress planks…

1 Like

Today’s progress!
Inwale fitted and seats,thoarts and scuppers marked.
I dummied some short pieces of out wale… for fitting the brass…
Tomorrow (hopefully)I’ll roundover the out Wales an do a full fitting.
The main inside patch is done, I’m still have to run the strip along the top edge…the plan…
I have still a good bit of cypress … gonna build strip seats. And later buy canoe seats with back… I’m replacing the yolk with a permanent center seat… I build a yolk and store it in case I ever want to rig it for solo portage…
Ok finish the wood while the remaining interior patch is setting… sand the interior patches… install interior wood. Oh! I have a can of amber shellac I did a test piece. It has a yellow/orange cooler . My wife said it suited the green. Once the wood is completely installed I’ll cover it all with a thin coat of epoxy… hopefully plugging the seams. To keep water getting in-between the skin and gunwales… I’m going minimal with scuppers. 3 on each side toward the center. I saw some photos of old town with scupper only in the center of the boat.
Ok I’ll be completely done inside before I flip it and do the sanding and filling in the outside.
I’ll probably do at least a single layer patch on the outside. Iv found a one quart kit of dark green gel coat for around 40 $. Is this an average price? I’m considering coating the inner shell. I didn’t realize how clear the epoxy dried. The black Perma marker where I marked out the inner patch shows right through. I’m already gonna be a good bit heavier than the original 49lbs. The cypress is dry and light… but the planks were a full inch thick… Lastly install the outwales !!
Ok guys wish me luck!
Paddle on!
Jake

Uploading: IMG_20210531_140825628_HDR.jpg…
Uploading: IMG_20210531_140839385_HDR.jpg…

Getting to the home stretch!

Photos did not load.