Recommend a headlamp

The streamlight aaa I used in wind rain and snow. Utility co so it has been real wet. I dont know that I ever submerged one for an extended period, but they are gasketed so I am guessing they would be OK.

1 Like

Ask these guys :flushed:

Mine was made in china and it’s bullet proof had it for years…Go with a black diamond Storm

Hello, I kayak at night a lot, every week and need lights. I use a diving flashlight that is waterproof, for one. I also have two choices of headlamps. One is a PetzlActik Core that is rechargeable and comes with the cord (got it at REI), and I bought an extra battery to go with it. Another is my Fenix ARE-A2, rechargeable (8 hours runtime on high) and I bought an extra 3500mAh 18650 battery and a charger to use with it. Fenix has many quality flashlights for sale and 20% off for your first order from their website www.fenixlight.com Hope all this helps, but do NOT go cheap when it comes to your safety, always carry two or three lights as I do. cheers.

Could you explain? are you saying use a low, or, red light instead? thanks

Any white light will destroy your night vision in the short term with diminishing effects until about 10-15 minutes when your eyes adapt again to low light conditions. Using a red light greatly reduces the negative impact of light, yet you will still be able to read a chart. I’ve heard that some new studies believe a green or green-blue light impairs night vision less than red light, however I haven’t tried it yet.

I choose to have a white light (a handheld waterproof dive light = high lumens) available for safety of navigation reasons, i.e. to warn another vessel of my presence on the water.

If I need to read a chart or do anything ondeck and cannot do it with the moonlight/starlight, on goes an inexpensive red light that clips onto a ballcap bill. i personally do not like the feel and weight of the better headlamps I have seen - I guess I would learn to like those lights if I were into spelunking.

Main point is to keep your white light off, except for safety of navigation if you want to see well at night while on the water.

Depends on where you live and where/how your gear is stored. Long shelf life has little to do with batteries stored inside gear inside a hot garage or vehicle in summer sun. They will expand and leak. Lithium batteries are best stored at about 40% charge and fully charged just before use. Your choice, but living in a hot climate, experiencing damaged electronics and doing a little research convinced me to keep batteries out of my gear when it may not be used for a while.

Exactly. Its why Mil aircraft gauges are backlit in red. It has to do with the rods and cones in your eyeball.
Im not a fan of extreme light on a headlamp either.

Just an FYI. If you need to use a white light and want to limit the loss of night vision, close one eye and do not open it until you turn the light off. Also, stay away from people like the one in that video who keep shining their headlamp in your face.

2 Likes

Never leave stuff in a vehicle after a trip.

The PrincetonTec headlamp I bought a few years ago allows choosing red or white beam and dimming either one, both features I consider essential. Red light really is better for minimizing loss of night vision. The dimmed red is even better.

If you don’t believe it, test it by keeping one for nightly pee awakenings at home. Don’t turn on room lights but use the headlamp instead. That’s what I did.

1 Like