recommendations for a sit on top

I agree with String
Definitly take a look at a Futura II. This is stable, fast, and very easy to climb back on compared to other SOTs. Yes it is a bit pricey but its worth it. They would sell a lot more of these if they were marketed as a high performance SOT instead of as a surf ski. People are really intimidated by surf skis and they shouldn’t.

Isthmus
I am going to try out Frank’s Isthmus this weekend hopefully…he has challenged me to stay on it…

Paul

The secondary stability of the older
Heritage (Hop on Top) designs like the Seadart, Expedition (now the Seadart 17) and Nomad is very good.

I know someone who can sucessfully roll an Expedition, but I have personnally found it very difficult to “get upside down” with either my Nomad or Shearwater - I’m fairly sure this is related to both the Heritage design as much as it might be to my own buoyancy. If I’m strapped in tighthly with thigh straps and backband, I end up in a static brace position with me floating on the water surface and the 'yak at a 90 degree angle to the water. At this point I just brace back up as opposed to doing a 360 roll. If I’m not strapped in tightly (I must emphasize tightly) I need to exit and remount.

The Seadart is wider (24" bwl & 28" boa)than either the Shearwater (20" bwl & 24" boa) or Nomad (22" bwl & 26" boa) so I suspect it will be a bit harder to get over than either of the others.

I see used ones and factory blems for sale on e-bay with some reasonable regularity. According to the Heritage web site there are a number of dealers in Fla, but based on my somewhat limited geographical knowledge of the sunshine state most appear to be west coast, and northern east coast. There is one listed in the Keys and another in Stuart which I believe is about 2 hrs north of you.

AND YOU BETTER FALL OFF FASTER

– Last Updated: Sep-01-05 10:21 AM EST –

than I usually do, LOL! But just watch out -Vera might try it and be just as successful as Sally is -dadgummit...!!! -on it...

I'll contact you off the boards with details -but we all WILL get together, and we all WILL

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

You know I will of course
do my utmost to stay on better than you! but if I remember some comments Sally made the last time we talked about this…maybe it won’t be so difficult?

something about your paddling and balancing skills if i recall…hmmm…

Paul

:slight_smile:

I’ll Give $100 for a Composite SeaDart
Just thought I’d throw that in…

SEDA has been better on their weight control. Both the SeaDart and the Revenge are nice kayaks.

Glenn

“I”-Test
Hope you get calmer test conditions than I did. Wind and chop was up and comming straight in from the south (was on a South facing beach). Hardest thing was just getting on/in the darn thing. I need a rematch.

come on down…
Sat afternoon at Hobie…we can all laugh at Frank…

Why do I like picking on him so much? Probably because Sally does it even more…

Paul

Get In Line On That Composite SeaDart!!
I will absolutely buy a composite SeaDart. If I get a chance at one, I will jump at it!

I didn’t mention the composite HopOnTops/Hertitage because the odds of coming across one aren’t that good. It took me a couple years to find the Nomad.

But if you get a chance, go for it!

And look at the Kaskazi kayaks. I would be interested in one myself if I had access to them, but there is no dealer on the West Coast.

South Florida is the only place I know they are readily available.

perfect sit on top…
an egg harbor trawler…say about 40 feet?

Readily available? L
I’d hardly call one (maybe 2?) - and knowing someone who can probably get you one stuck in his next container (1 or 2 a year?) “readily available”.

Several have tried the Kaskazi Skua - but I’m almost positive it’s “it” not “them”. Odds are there will be more, but for now that makes it about as readily available in South Florida as a Tsunami X-1 (or a Shearwater 2 years ago!) L

Isthmus are the only touring composite SOT around here in any numbers. There were 5 or so around a while back. I know where 3 are now. Still, few have seen or paddled one.

You Are Right, But
You’re right. Not so “readily vailable” in southern Florida, but anywhere else you can forget about it altogether.

Especially with the dollar falling against the Kruger Rand

Well, how much would it be worth…
… to have what you want? A sea capable SOT you can paddle all your waters in vs. that rag tag fleet of “almost” and “sort of” kayaks you keep shuffling around? :wink:

They should be able to ship to any major port - and ski importers like the Hemmens should be able to hook you up too. No different on that coast really.

You’d have to take a chance - but how hard could it be to resell if it didn’t work out?

He got his dream boat.
I drove out to Wisconsin to retreive it. And he does does not like it. I guess it is like getting to do J-Lo only to find out she lays there like a lox.

say it isn’t so!
Now that is depressing!

J-Lo Scares Me!

– Last Updated: Sep-02-05 8:36 PM EST –

I learned to fear Puerto Rican girls from New York a long time ago! They will just take your money and break your heart!

What were we talking about?....Oh, kayaks..yeah.

I do like the Nomad. Haven't given it a real test yet.

But no one has made the SOT I really want yet, so I will keep looking.

If I had one custom made, I probably wouldn't like the first 2-3 versions.

And I need at least three different models...A fast one, an ocean going one, and a rec one.

Come on, we have been around enough to know there is no perfect boat of any kind. Looking for it gives you something to do when you are not paddling.

But I know what I like. I like a tankwell in back, and a flush hatch large enough to store a paddle in front.

Make them all under 40#, and in plastic, please!

Dude, your wet dream was
a premature ejaculation. I remember reading your posts salivating for a Nomad. Last 2 trips you paddled your Mars or Shearwater. You have a similar problem to me… What boat to take and how to keep them all happy!

Heritage Sea Dart in Composite
This is probably the PERFECT sot for what I like - ease of paddling (speed).

I love the 14’ Heritage’s. So they are a bit heavy - no more so than other plastic sot’s.

I do like the Shearwater in glass (actually a Hop on Top), but it tracks like a train (I like to turn).

The 16’ Nomad II is a great boat. Only about 42 pounds in glass - good luck finding…

I’m unfamiliar with most of the other sots, except maybe Ocean Kayaks, which are barges…

Glenn

Cobra sit on tops
I had an Expedition for a short while and I wouldn’t recommend it as a first sit on top. I loved it and will be getting another when finances allow, but for someone that wants decent primary stability, there are better choices. Otherwise its very light at only 48 lbs. I have a Tourer that I use for fishing ( I’m disappointed that I didn’t win a sibling for it as well), and its relatively fast, very stable and looks cool. A little awkward to load because of its design, but again a cart would help, once you get over a 50 lb weight. I had a Prowler 150, and I like the Tourer better for my size, I felt a bit cramped, but it or the Prowler 130 might be a good choice. Also take a look at the Heritage Marquesa or Redfish (both same hull, one stripped), more stability than a Sea Dart and reports are they are fast. You can order one from Kayakfishingstuff with a Cobra “A” hatch if storage is a concern since they come with a very small front hatch. Good luck…