Recommendations for Dry-Suit accessories

I use a pair of crock type shoes with my dry suit to walk around and just took them inside the yak when I’m on the water. I do carry a knife on my PFD mostly in fear I somehow tear my dry suit and start filling up with water

@Mike.S said:
. I do carry a knife on my PFD mostly in fear I somehow tear my dry suit and start filling up with water

You must have read about Roger Mann and the 2015 R2AK.

@Rookie actually I never read it but did just look it up and it was a very interesting article.
https://smallcraftadvisor.com/our-blog/?p=4517

@Mike.S said:
@Rookie actually I never read it but did just look it up and it was a very interesting article.
https://smallcraftadvisor.com/our-blog/?p=4517

That was the first R2AK and Roger’s story is legendary. That same year a guy named Mike finished in his kayak. A Trak 2.0 kayak completed the race in 2018.

Roger will be back at it this year. So will two teams in rowboats (but no kayaks, alas). One of those rowboat teams is from Belfast, Maine. Maybe kayamedic knows them?

Larry Ellison of the America’s Cup never accepted his invitation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z2RTHak750

Quick update on what I selected–

The DS is a 2018 Kokatat Meridian I got off the classified here. I couldn’t try it on but I read the specs a gazillion times and I’m exactly in the middle of the size range for large. Fits perfect height and girth. Neck is quite tight but I’ll wear it and if it hurts after a while I can always stretch it.

For boots I selected Deep See 5mm Atlantic Boot in Size 12. I’m a perfect US 10.5 shoe. With my thickest pair of rag wool socks on and the DS, the boots are perfect. Snug enough that they don’t flop around but not too tight. Definitely was correct to go up 1.5. And up 1.5 was perfect; if I was a perfect 11, I’d have to up 2 but 1.5 is just right.

For a cap, I selected 3mm NRS Storm Cap.

I also got some Zip Care and Zipper Lubricant for the DS and bootie zippers.

Got the Doc’s ProPlug fit kit and then ordered a pair of large vented with leash.

I still need to evaluate whether the gloves I have are adequate.

And like a said, I have a whole bureau of base in mid-layers in synthetic and wool for skiing so I’m not going to bother with any other undergarments.

-l2t

@l2t said:
Neck is quite tight but I’ll wear it and if it hurts after a while I can always stretch it.

You’re better off trimming it. MINIMAL! One ring at a time!

@Sparky961 said:

@l2t said:
Neck is quite tight but I’ll wear it and if it hurts after a while I can always stretch it.

You’re better off trimming it. MINIMAL! One ring at a time!

Ok, still educating myself on the DS thing. I watched one video on how to trim one ring off. I’ll watch several more and do some reading on how tight it should be before I do anything.

Thanks for the tip.

-l2t

@l2t said:
Ok, still educating myself on the DS thing. I watched one video on how to trim one ring off. I’ll watch several more and do some reading on how tight it should be before I do anything.

Good idea to preload as much knowledge as possible but don’t agonize over it too much. I made the silly mistake of replacing my gaskets just before a spring trip a few years ago. Five minutes of wearing the suit and my face going purple told me it wasn’t going to work, but the water was too cold not to wear a drysuit. I ended up trimming a ring off with my Mora Companion (knife) in the back of my pickup truck. Not exactly the ideal environment (or tools) for precision work.

That gasket is still going strong to this day.

So I put the DS on my neck and wore it for a spell to test if the neck seal was too tight. Conclusion… jugular veins are overrated. You have a carotid artery. That will pump blood to your head. So what if it just stays there until your head feels like a balloon.

So more seriously, after about five minutes, my head felt like a balloon and I had a headache. So definitely have to make a bit of room in the neck seal. I read some on it and see that some people recommend stretching and some recommend trimming, but all recommend go slow in increments. And many recommended breaking in as there’s some initial stretch before deciding if you need to widen the seal… So instead of doing just stretching or just trimming, I figure I’ll simulate breaking in by putting something in the neck only an inch or two bigger for a couple twelve hour sessions. Then I’ll try it on again for ten minutes. If I still get balloon head, then I’ll trim one ring, wait a day, and try again. Repeat as needed.

-l2t