Recreational Kayak

Other options
You can also check out some of the paddling stores in the area.

Paddle Shack – Egg Harbor and Marmora

Bel Haven – Green Bank

Jersey Paddler – Brick

All should be having fall clearance sales and be selling off demo kayaks. It still might be more than you want to spend but another option to consider.

not sure about that
"Every boat on your list will sink if you have problems in the middle of the lake."

Some of the boats by these “brands”, like some of the Emotions, are SOT’s. I think all this talk about how cheap kayaks are dangerous and so forth – which I think is somewhat exaggerated – should distinguish SIK’s from SOT’s. I think you’d be hard pressed to sink an Emotion SOT.

I’m not a boat snob, either. But I think the reasons those cheapo SIK “rec boats” sold by Big Boxes are a bad idea have less to do with “safety” than with quality. Quality of the boat as a viable “boat”, and quality of the experience one will have with such a thing.

Same with us
We started this spring and went to Dicks. My wife got the pelican, I got the future beach. I’ve tried hers. I like mine better. … She tried mine and likes hers better. … Go figure. But one thing we learned this year is we need new ones by spring. Well keep these for nieces and nephews. I’m now looking at the remix. …

In the spring we went out for an afternoon on some rentals. When we were done we drove straight to dicks and bought. If I had the time to look for a better boat I could have found one used in a decent price range and a much better boat. … So I guess what I’m saying is if your in a hurry, go get whatever. Cheap investment that friends can borrow next year when you upgrade. Maybe even sell boats to friends then use that many as help towards your upgrade.

most people start like that

– Last Updated: Sep-29-14 8:04 PM EST –

I did more or less. Everyone forgets they didn't know where they wanted to end up when they started. And people are just trying to save others the expense or keep others safe or comfortable.
Sometimes I think it's less important what you start out in, than what other boats you try to see what the differences are - and whether your capabilities line up with where you think they are.
Cheap boats are cheap. So it's no big deal if you have to sell it and upgrade.

Reply to all
First of all, yes, sinking a SOT would require a lot of effort and some sharp tools. Someone reasonably fit and agile should be able to remount a SOT. But the trade off is SOTs are slower, which doesn’t matter if you are not paddling with a group or in a particular hurry but eventually you’re gonna want to run with the big dogs…

And yes, the low end sit insides are difficult to capsize. It hard to explain there is a line to cross. The boats are safe until you have a problem and then you are screwed. You could probably paddle the resoirvoir for twenty years and never have a problem then one day there is a picture of you when you got married on page six. I won’t lie, I started with 4 kayaks from Dick’ s and took them things lots of places I shouldn’t have until I had the scare of my life when a boat almost swamped my daughters yak in the mouth of river. There was one little “risky” spot on that route and that’s the one spot where about 4 things went wrong. So if you want to take a spin across the lake on a pretty warm day, what the hell. If it wasn’t for the cheap yaks I wouldn’t have bought the good ones.

So to answer your last question Paul, no, one brand is not better than the other. If you want to do what I did, Go to sports academy or wherever, set the boat on the floor in the aisle and sit inside it. Adjust the foot pegs, wiggle your butt around. Pull down another one, try it out. When the kid shows up make him put the boats away. When you find something tolerable at a decent price buy it, go forth and sin no more. Paddle it for a year and get 2/3 your money back from Ceaigslist or keep it for friends, or for when the river is 2 feet too low to really run it in your nice boat…

Now Willow is from the other school of thought, she is going to find some better boats in the used market and recommend them too you on the theory life is too short to paddle crappy boats. I myself feel if you’re not in a canoe pride is kind of a moot point. If you get the bug you’re going to want two bulkheads, perimeter lines, and something 14 to 17 feet. You may paddle the rest of your life and be happy in your 10 ft pelican. Willow’s way requires a little patience, calling about boats that just got sold, hoping you don’t buy a cracked POS. And if you don’t like paddling your stuck with them. Should you choose the Dark Path of instant gratification let me say I’d rather paddle a $250 boat with a $150 paddle than a $1250 boat with an $80 paddle. Go to a kayak shop and get some aquabound paddles or better and skip the visit to the orthopedic surgeon next year.

And finally, Vanderbilt, like my kid says " I know.Right ?"

SP nailed it
About trying other boats to see what the differences are.

My first kayak was 10.5’ long and 28" wide. One bulkhead and a huge cockpit. Didn’t trust taking it out in bigger water. Six weeks later I found a used 12’ long 26" wide boat with two bulkheads. Really like this boat, but the cockpit is still large.

This weekend I sat in a 14’ long boat, 22" beam, and keyhole cockpit. Was a revelation to sit in a kayak and have complete knee and thigh contact with the boat. Sigh.

used boats your area
http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/4688837534.html

http://cnj.craigslist.org/spo/4661464287.html

http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/4691710068.html

These are all Perceptions – still rec boats lacking dual bulkheads, but decent quality plastic that will retain their value if you want to sell them to trade up (or keep for friend loaners.) Never hurts when looking at used boats to offer $100 under asking price (bring cash) and see if you can get for a bit less. $300 is a reasonable price for a used rec boat, $350 if it is exceptionally pristine.

There is also a dealer in the area:

http://cnj.craigslist.org/sgd/4675451706.html

Emotion
I do like my Emotion Glide very much. It’s more versatile than you would expect for a rec kayak, easy to enter and exit, and not that heavy at 37 pounds that you can’t lift or haul it as needed. Remember, it’s for basically “flat” water, not rapids nor ocean. And you DO need to get an extra float bag from them for the front for safety, as well as the back bag that used to come with the boat.

there’s always basketball season
Lord knows we’re waiting for it up here.

this will sound really sappy
Part of the fun is the journey. I had a blast in my “rec” kayak for years before budgeting for a touring kayak. Then a more serious touring kayak. I don’t sweat the time it took me and the boats I bought and sold to get here.

Yes - I sold a kayak. Don’t tell anyone.

hey hey paul
Acadias are decent kayaks. You could always save for the flotation and use caution until you do (or flip over intentionally to get used to emptying it). IMO you’d be much more likely to enjoy kayaking starting with something like this by a known quality manufacturer.

Acadias are well liked
Lots of positive reviews of Acadias on here. I’ve paddled with people that have them and they seem to be a decent boat – they could keep up with us in our sea kayaks better than the folks in standard rec boats. That jump to 12’ from 9’ or 10’ is significant.

Oh please
Didn’t talk long for the hipsters to start circling.

Real advice: Pelicans aren’t too bad. Avoid the Perceptions … and elitists.

I like my $300 Perception
So you chime in a post three weeks late, start with an insult at me which shows you didn’t read the rest othe thread or you’re just to stupid to get it, Then your “advice” is Pelicans good, Perceptions bad which wasn’t worth the wait And finish up with another insult at me which just shows you haven’t been around this board very long.

Most the really ignorant dumbasses hang out on B&B, perhaps you’d fit better there. At least your ignorance wouldn’t stand out as bad and flinging insults without useful content is more the norm.

Dumbass.