Reentering a solo Canoe

Believe it or not…

– Last Updated: Jul-09-15 12:01 AM EST –

Believe it or not Yanoer, my reading skills are well above average.
Don't be obtuse.

The point I was trying to make was that size & strength does not always trump training, technique, and finesse. He says he has the former. Perhaps the latter is lacking?

I offered 4 suggestions to the OP:
1. Add flotation to his boat.
2. Paddle closer to shore.
3. Paddle with a partner to assist if necessary.
4. Seek feedback from person with good reentry/boat recovery skills.

What suggestions did YOU offer Yanoer?
I didn't read any..........

By the way; how's the water running in those corn field drainage ditches you frequent?

BOB

This is hard to do but
not impossible. I know many who re-enter lightweight solo canoes with no problem. That said, most of them are lightweight, nimble, and athletic. Emptying the canoe can be done. First, air bags help tremendously if attempting a Capistrano Flip. Fact is, however most paddlers of non-whitewater canoes don’t use them. A shake-out can be effective if practiced. It’s not hard to learn. Once emptied re-entering can be difficult. At 225 you would have to be very nimble to do so. You will not learn this on your own. Find someone who can do it and watch the technique.

Flipping the boat over
isn’t too big a problem. Once you break the seal, you can lift the boat from underneath and flip it easily. I guess floatation would help, but it’s not necessary.

It’s getting back in the boat that’s tough. I know you are suppose to keep your weight down in the chines so the near side gunwale stays out of the water. You then kick hard and roll yourself up over the gunwale to keep from swamping the boat. Maybe it is easier for smaller nimble people, but I’m 225, and I have yet to do it. I did get back in the boat once, but the boat was so full of water that I flipped again anyway.

It’s still good to practice, but as a practical matter I’d never rely on it. With someone to hold the far gunwale, though, I’m pretty good at getting back in.

Designated re-entry paddle
with long strong single piece shaft, attached float bag and gunwale shaft straps solves the problem herein.

Go into standard reentry position butbutbut place leg over shaft n move from there.

Leg on shaft eliminates 75% of required athleticism and KICK coordination.

Seems impossible all these fat people could develop the KICK for their weight. Can you kick 30 yard field goals ? and follow thru with a forward flip… ?

Not thought about making a designated ‘canoe’ reentry paddle. I have, thru trying the leg over reentry, a now oak doweled solid shaft AquaBound working with a sea kayak.

If you have a blade handy…search for a shaft then add a fixed float bag. Prob work in a bicycle tire CO2 charger.

as said: ’ a lotta people talk about the weather…

that was my experience
Many times over. I spent several sessions trying to reenter my ultralight after going to thosee classes. While l got back into a number of canoes ok in those sessions, including a wood mad river with no float bags, there is no way l end up back in my ultralight without sitting chest deep in water. Very well balanced actually, but there is no way to bail a boat once the gunwales are under water. I was willing to try.

And l weigh 135 pounds. It took so little weight to sink the ultralight… no way l see someone as heavy as the oper doing it without float bags.

One other point not mentioned above, even if you get back in against difficult odds, you will be tired. Since capsizes are already more likely when conditions are challenging… the most prudent course if paddling solo is to make a self rescue as easy as possible. You will likely need your energy for handling things once back in the boat.