Reflection Time - Rules For Life

You all have made me smile this morning
Thanks!

Mick

Yep, Ok. Maybe too mellow lately.

– Last Updated: Mar-20-04 8:23 AM EST –

Yep, I'm ok. Maybe a little too mellow lately as an over correction for the stress now in my life? The philosophical things really are a big part of me I normally do not show too much, but do not tell anyone as it would probably ruin my hard won reputation!

The "Rules for Life" are but a sample of the materials I have around from classes I used to teach "in another life time."

The reflective state probably has some thing to do with NOT PADDLING ENOUGH lately, too busy with the new house, getting too tied up in the daily rat race, those other things we all have but are not going to discuss in public, and finally the recent visit to the ER. Too much stress and not enough outlets maybe?!

I lay on the ER bed with wires attached to patches that seemed to pull out all the hair on my chest when they were removed. IV in my vain inserted not quite right so it hurt just a little the whole time. Listening to the conversations on either side of me of a woman in very early labor they were trying to stop and a guy they did not know what was up so were transferring him directly to the neurological ward at Walter Reed Army Hospital asap. I was glad I brought a good, light and funny book to read while I waited for the EKG and outer electrical read outs to accumulate, the blood tests to came back and the doctor to get around to me again.

I reread some parts in The Sweet Potato Queen's Book of Love (book previously discussed in some detail in an old p.net thread). As I am a skip around reader I also found some chapters I had not read before. How did I miss such good chapters? Maybe the time was just not right to find them then. Great book by the way! Even though it starts a bit slow.

How did I get in the ER? Well there was a series of minor events that did not amount to that much. Enter the women in a guys life. "Well, at least go see the doctor and make sure." The same day appointment screening nurse (another woman) asked the teaching doctor on call (another woman) and advised that I go the ER immediately. Ok, now there are FIVE women on my case, guess where I'm going. "Is there someone to drive you or do we need to send an ambulance?" No, I'll drive myself (typical stubborn man's answer!)

The ER: Screening nurse says that the high blood pressure I have been experiencing lately is not actually high. My normal averages 123/77 and she is reading 147/108 which all the charts I have seen say is high. Hey, that is cool with me, I'll go home. No way she says, we are going to check you out as you also reported dizziness, slight numbness, ears ringing more than usual, and so on. Ok, I know better than to face off against one, SIX women on this. At one point the doctor, a man says, "What are you doing here anyway?" I say that there were a few little symptoms to begin with, but I did not think them important. Then all the women in my life got after me and here I am. That was way more than enough reason for him! Said they would finish checking me out.

Conclusion: I feel great! Probably better than I would have had I not gone. There is not even a hint of doubt now that I'm ok. I have had complete electrical (EKG plus) and blood analysis and am more than cleared to abuse my body in the great outdoors! Class V here I come!!! Yeah, right. ;^)

I feel very lucky and greatful in light of real health problems others here have experianced!

Happy Paddl'n All!

>:^)

Mick

Tough rules, but seem to be true!
Chin up, accept support, and be true to yourself Jill.

Paddle More and worry less!

Happy Paddl’n!

:^)

Mick

Yep…all I need now is…
a shaded head, a Bell I move with a stick and blade, and Orange PFD and I can hang out at any body of water, the more remote the better!

Want to go get some therapy? LOL

Mick

Rule 57, 58
Rule 57: If you own a 9 year old car with 150K miles you do not have to worry about door dents, car washes, and you can still fit in parking spaces when some fool takes up two spots to protect his car.

Rule 58: If you own a really nice car, do not park next to fool that has a 9 year old car with 150K miles on it.

Hey Mick
How come there were only 6 women on your case?AND did you stop to ask directions to the ER ?

Do I qualify to be #7?

Glad that you are on your way to good health!

Keep smiling!

Lori

I have a volt meter…
I coulda checked out your electrical system.

good to hear
that you are OK, Mcwood. I used to make vists to the ER at least once a year. It was always due to stress. I always thought I was having heart attack symptoms. Of course, they never were that.

Since I began paddling every weekend about 7 months ago, I have had no such incidents. My health has never been better and my attitude has improved 1000%. Occaisionally my old hypochondia visits me when I am alone after paddling for two hours and find myself far from help. But as long as I have no physical symptoms, I am able to dismiss those thoughts and paddle on without a care.

Twenty years form now, when I am a very old man,they’re gonna have to pull the paddle from my cold, death grip 'cause I ain’t giving this up.

supham! How did you know? 2 x 150k
We have not been paddling together I’m sure. How did you know that my canoe camping vans are 9 years old and each have 150,000 miles on them?!

???!!!

Mick

Time is flying and I have too few Bells!
:^(

Mick

Hey Lori
Because by the time I got to the ER only six women knew about it. I’m sure all the rest would have joined in given the chance. I’m not saying anymore as I am sure it will get me into trouble! As one really good friend says, “When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!”

Sure, you are number 7, retroactively.

To keep smiling (actually grinning) no matter what is one of my favorite things to do. It keeps “them” guessing what the heck you are up to and just what the heck you may know! Makes “them” real nervous too!

Been healthy all my life and intend to stay that way for a long, long time. Just thought for a day there that time and age had caught up with me sooner than expected.

Happy Paddl’n Lori!

Mick

“Don’t spit into the wind”…Jim Croche

The rules are more like reflections,
which can result in new paths of reason and actions. We have a destination, and a journey,

both to enjoy. Maintain the mystic of the paddle.

The soul searches for the solace of the Spirit.

Blessings,

mickjetblue

Reminds me of a Moody Blues Poem.
There ya go, man. Keep as cool as you can. Face piles of trials with smiles. It rials them to believe that you percieve the web they weave. Keep on thinkin’ free.

My rule:
Carpe diem!

Cheers,

JackL

“You don’t
need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows”

(Robert Zimmerman)

Looking back at this again.
Thought it might be worth bringing to the top again. And besides it and still is a great, fun post.

Happy Padd’n!