Register Canoe in BWCA

state by state
Each state has there own laws regarding how boats must be registered. WI does not require a boat to be registered so it wouldn’t matter is you lived in IL, IA, MN or OH. As long as that boat is only paddled in WI, it does not have to be registered. If a WI boat is paddled in any of the before mentioned states that require registration, it must be registered. It doesn’t matter what state, it just has to be registered. So you could live in WI, have a MN registered boat, and pass inspection in IL because of the MN registration. I wish there was uniformity. I just scraped ugly IA reporting numbers off my latest used carbon canoe purchase.

So anytime you go to another state

– Last Updated: Mar-02-07 11:04 PM EST –

you need to check what they do. I will take my chances and play dumb. Plus I think even if your state does not require you to register your boat and you don't use it in MN for more than 90 days you would not have to register it.

Not exactly
If you have your canoe or kayak registered in one state, it will be recognized as registered by all the other states. And as long as you’re following the law in your state, you are covered.

Except, if your state doesn’t require registration and you head to a state that requires registration, then you will need to register you canoe or kayak in , at least, one state and follow that states registration.

And that makes sense to you??
Everyone from MN can come to GA and paddle for free, but if I come to paddle in MN, I have to pay. That’s a strange reciprocity.

We all know what the registration laws and reciprocity game are about. They are about getting federal matching dollars for motorboating and sailboating. That matching money has never significantly benefitted users of canoes and kayaks. In GA we have a different set of problems from motorboaters and sailboaters… an entirely different set of problems.

um, okay

– Last Updated: Mar-04-07 9:27 PM EST –

Do they make sense to me in what meaning of the word? Yes, I understand the way the regulations work. Sense, as in do they make sense. Then nope.

Do I make the laws? Nope.

If I had it my way, I wouldn't require anyone to pay anything for registering boats - motor, sail, paddle, row, otherwise. Period. I also wouldn't charge fees to people for having to enter National Parks, which they already own. Period. And I wouldn't charge for many other things. But I don't make the laws. :)

We must play the cards that we've been dealt or rant about it to those that make the laws if it gets you angry. Doesn't do much good ranting about the injustice of it all on a thread asking about the laws of required registration in MN.

The question has been answered in this thread. Probably a good time to end it.

You are wrong…

– Last Updated: Mar-09-07 4:49 PM EST –

"you need to check what they do. I will take my chances and play dumb. Plus I think even if your state does not require you to register your boat and you don't use it in MN for more than 90 days you would not have to register it."

If you paddle it one day here it needs to be registered. The 90 days refers to out of state registration. If you keep a boat registered out of state here more than 90 days, then you need to register it here.