Regular compass vs kayak compass

on our ponds we don’t get chop! NM

Mounting a deck compass

– Last Updated: May-21-04 8:54 PM EST –

My plastic 'yak (a Tempest 170) has a nice dimple/pit place where a deck compass is obviously intended to go. Yet all (OK, both) the compasses sold for this purpose seem to want to attach via bungees. I'm wondering why? It seems like it'd be nice to put it permanently in that hole, much better finish... but that's not how they're sold.

Anyone have any suggestions?

- rob

Measure the hole…
Then go to a marine store and pick out a compass that will fit…

easy way
just keep turning left you’ll eventually hit land somewhere ! and with any luck it will be uninhabited with a pirate rum stash!

Aquameter II
check this one, it will fit great into a recess, and can be removed from the mount when not in use.

Latency
Is there a way to adjust the update rate for your chart plotter? If you can update say at 1hz that should fix it. If your GPS can update at 10 or even 100 hz even better.

I Agree - Both
I keep mine in my map bag and can move it around to get a bearing in relation to landmarks. I then use my kayak compass to keep course. Then I use my GPS to see how fast I am going.

Toys, toys all are indespensable so I tell my wife.

Good luck

Mick

Aquameter Sailor II
Cool, that’s a third option I hadn’t seen before - thanks. However, I think the proper name for it is the “Sailor II” by Aquameter - close enough that I found it on the web, sold locally (in Seattle) by Northwest Outdoor Center! http://www.nwoc.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2

• rob

Brunton 70P
Is the compass that the recess in your tempest is designed for. I installed one on my Tempest and I quite like it. they typically run $80 to $100 but I found them cheap at thenerds.net but they appear to no longer have them. I got mine for $64 including shipping.

db