Relief Zipper; How Important?

are you
drinking enough water ?

haha

watch eBay for drysuits
This past Tuesday when I did my usual scan of paddling related gear on eBay there was a large men’s USIA drysuit that was just about to wrap up bids – it went for $98 (needed a neck gasket but that is about a $50 repair). I considered bidding on it myself as a loaner for friends/dates.

I’ve seen even Kokatats in new or like new condition go on eBay for under $300 quite often. Got my own Kokatat Goretex suit for $400 (used, but barely). You just have to be patient and persistent.

Have you checked Kayak Academy’s website? They almost always have used Kokatat drysuits from their school program for sale.

Physics
Not sure of the physics of the situation, but I wouldn’t open my relief zipper while on the water. What happens if you go in the drink and the suit fills with water?

Now you have a wetsuit!

I have seen older male paddlers with a Pee Bottle in the boat.

you have a good point there
because I have been with paddlers who don’t drink enough water because they don’t want to deal with the issue of the drysuit…or even sometimes getting out of the kayak to pee.

Not for me
My dry suit has a front entry zipper so no relief zipper is needed.

never needed one
got an NRS extreme…as Glen said, 30 seconds to drop the top. Actually, with the NRS, I drop the top if I feel like, but simply opening the zipper all the way and dropping my shoulders allows me to pee in the breeze. One less zipper to break, and from what I’ve seen with NRS suits, is what fails on them after 100-200 outings.

It’s a must!
Check out Kayak Academy as they have great deals on their loner/demo suits. Great folks to work with.

If you buy new from them, they’ll let you use one of their loner suits until yours comes in.

Second the complimentary
words on Kayak Academy. They are top notch. I’ve made the guy an offer on the NRS suit that he probably won’t accept. We shall see.

does it have booties?
I will never buy another suit without attached booties. Fantastic for warming comfort and ease of putting on. I have a Kokatat with booties and RZ.

The RZ ???. My last suit didn’t have it. I used to open the chest zipper and slide down a bottle and do it that way. No need to drop the suit off. It is another zipper to worry about. As I said I have it but it’s not a really big deal. But booties - absolutely.

Well…
To date I still haven’t received a response from the guy with the no pee drysuit. I ran across a Supernova (yes, I know it’s a semi-drysuit but I confirmed with Kokatat I could have a latex neck gasket added if I wanted) on Boatertalk and told the guy I’d take it but he has since dropped off the face of the earth. I just don’t get it. Why post something for sale then refuse contact with someone who wants to buy it? These kids today LOL. Anywho, I finally quit screwing around and did what I shoulda to begin with; brand spanking new Hydrus Swift Entry with relief for five bills from the very fine folks at Kayak Academy. I truly can’t say enough nice things about them. They really are a joy to deal with and now I have something with a lifetime warranty. So, I’ll no longer have to think twice about whether I want to join those cool weather and cold water trips. Yippee! Thanks everyone for the advice!