removing vegitation

Which, if you note, I already said. (nm)

Yep…
seems to me that from an ecological perspective, the less clearing you do the better. Cutting narrow paths through log jams is usually okay, but wholesale clearing is not. There have been posts here in the past about this, and often the pro-clearing people justified their stance by citing safety issues…you don’t want log jams causing capsizes and trapping paddlers under them. But I much prefer a natural stream channel, obstructions and all, and a little risk, rather than a Disneyland atmosphere. Some things should require a bit of work to experience.

as normal that was informative
I have read the info on lwd it make’s sense and I am going to be useing that plan. I like the idea of just pulling the tree’s to a 45 deg angle it is easy open’s a path leave’s it natural lot’s of habitat for the critters. and removes alot of the danger. You have heard of adopt a highway I think I just adopted a creek

so far you will be hard pressed to find any garbage on shaw creek in dodge co. at least the sections I run.

and I will be clearing just a path and makeing lots of habitat for our little friends!

once again thank you all for all the input

input good #5 alive!

More on the topic

– Last Updated: Dec-10-15 1:40 PM EST –

More on the topic in an old thread here:
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=1755665

Especially in our over-regulated, over-litigated, increasing-stacked-to-favor-the-1% world where too many people are going to the mall instead of to the woods, it would be a tragedy for people like you to stop paddling rivers and streams that have traditionally been paddled.

Do what you need to do to keep them open. Be safe. Paddle on.

it’s all context sensitive
This is introduced or kept in rivers here because we don’t have the hard, rocky features of a western stream, just soils.

ok

– Last Updated: Dec-10-15 1:43 PM EST –

I just wasn't sure where you got the notion that commercial value of timber was an issue. I know datakoll can be subtle but I didn't pick that up in his post.

It’s exactly what DK said

– Last Updated: Dec-10-15 4:36 PM EST –

I didn't pull this out of the blue. DK said: "Cutting 'overhanging' branches from valuable furniture or pulp wood trees...once mature if not now ....could ruin your day."

How would this ruin your day, except in taking account the "valuable" nature of such trees, thus causing the land owner to take action against you? No other interpretation of that statement would make sense to me.

So I thought it relevant to point out that I've never seen a tree with true potential for commercial value growing along the kinds of creeks which the OP speaks of. This is for two reasons. First, most riverside trees simply have no commercial value. Second, for those species that do have value, I considered the fact that in all my life I've never seen commercial cutting of any kind adjacent to a river bank. Thus, it's a really safe bet that even species like walnut and cherry will never be cut for lumber when growing on the river bank, and that would be doubly true once they've tipped over into the water.

trees close to streams are most often

– Last Updated: Dec-14-15 1:00 PM EST –

not to be touched unless chosen/observed by some DNR to be an influence to flowage, to some degree...from what I've always witnessed. Think the vegetation is often seen to possess properties of food for wildlife(moose, deer, otter...etc.)
$.01

No such thing here

– Last Updated: Dec-14-15 1:09 PM EST –

Clearing trees to increase flow capacity of a stream is based on an archaic way of thinking, and it's something that's never done around here. A highway department or a railroad might address the problem of logjams wedged against bridge pilings or piers, but when when it comes to the natural river channel, I've never seen or heard of a case around here where trees were removed to aid flow, and doing so certainly would NEVER be approved by a government agency.

Idiots in our drainage district removed
trees to improve flow.

The really bad aspect of our local situation is that they played favorites with land owners by letting some keep all of their trees right up to the water’s edge and stripping the neighboring property’s bank clean, which make absolutely not ecological or stream flow sense.

And to add insult to injury, they never did any follow maintenance and all of the native trees that were removed were replaced with invasive honeysuckle.

Really politically motivated and poorly planned and executed.

Stupid.