Removing water drops off camera lens

Thanks a bunch for all the advice.
Way helpful on my trip yesterday. Brilliant advice to rinse with fresh water. I found that drawing some water in my mouth, swish it around, spit it on the lens, then shake it off, turn 180 degrees and shake again, worked pretty well. I’ll have to try the tongue sometime too. (Didn’t read that one until I got home.)

Now after eating a peanut butter sandwich I’ll have to be sure and follow-up with an apple to cleanse my lens cleaning machine.

Also got better at minimizing water on the lens cover and the lens, in the first place. Though some rain drops and splashes and one drop in the drink (it was either me or the camera) were inevitable.

Thanks again. Pictures from my trip yesterday on Alsea Bay, Oregon, are on Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulstivers/sets/

Paul

Did
You wipe it off with a damp rag after the application? It will leave that haze if you don’t.

Well, the lens plate on the Canon
seems to be glass, but it is the optical coating that will go quick with RainX.

I never got smears on the windshield.
There are two problems. First, even with proper wiping down, there are tiny bubbles or specs that are somewhat bothersome when driving into a low sun.

Second, as the wipers wear through the RainX film, they start sticking or chattering.

I must say that for driving in rain, RainX can be terrific. But it’s up to the individual whether the overall experience is worthwhile.

One product to avoid is the RainX antifog stuff for the inside of the windshield. Just awful.

Yes
It still smeared.

Yeah, I’ve found water drops hard to
edit, except under the circumstances you describe.

I just dip mine in water then shoot
using my Panasonic Lumix. This may not have worked as well with my older waterproof case enclosing my Canon Elf.

These were all taken by just dunking in the water then taking a few shots.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jcbikeski/CrescentBayToTreasureIslandOnNewYears2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCKragNiG16TTDg#

Ah, So Cal
I’d love to get my kayak down there sometime. It looks like the dipping works for you. Thanks for sharing both the method and the pictures.