Repairing hairline cracks in Wenonah Solo Plus

I have seen a whole lot of canoes with fine cracks in the gel coat, and own a few and I have never seen them blister.

Osmotic blistering certainly occurs which can be confirmed with a brief internet search. There is a section in System Three’s “The Epoxy Book” that details repair of blisters. But virtually all the material you seem to find regarding the issue pertains to repair of blistering in “yachts” that spend considerable amounts of time in the water. It also clearly occurs much more commonly with boats constructed using polyester, as opposed to epoxy or vinyl-ester resins. Polyester materials including gel coat and resins are not completely water impermeable and with prolonged water exposure water molecules can permeate completely intact gel coat. Polyester resins decompose in the presence of water releasing soluble materials in the laminate which tend to be acidic resulting in progressive damage.

But canoes are typically not left in the water continuously for prolonged periods of time and are rarely constructed using polyester resins these days.

@Overstreet said:

@Gs96c599@aol.com said:
Not sure gel coat can be used over 5200

Not at all.

Oh, right. I’m going to do an epoxy over the 5200. I just wanted the 5200 in first to really grab onto the fibers in the hole. I already drilled it out and filled it with 5200 and it went much better than I had thought it might - wax paper on the interior held in place with duct tape formed a perfect backing for the 5200. I’ve got a nice, shallow divot to fill epoxy with before gelcoating. I’ll update with photos soon.

@pblanc said:
I have seen a whole lot of canoes with fine cracks in the gel coat, and own a few and I have never seen them blister…

But canoes are typically not left in the water continuously for prolonged periods of time and are rarely constructed using polyester resins these days.

Yes. But this boat has multiple cracks. I’m guessing it is the result of years of flexing, or some specific impacts. If the gel coat separates from the underlying layers like we see in the “hole” water can enter the crack. Canoes don’t live in the water but they do live upside down outside. Y’all have winter. Water freezing in between laminations can be a bad thing. Without physical examination if it were mine I’d probably just sand down the holes and any chipping cracks and fill with epoxy. Sand smooth and spray can paint a camo pattern. I’d use it as a “beater boat” similar to what we call a Georgia Fishing car or a beater bicycle. Functional without the worry of damaging the “furniture” , a perfect worry free boat…