rescue knife -- ever use it?

Real reason
I got some monofilament fishing line wrapped around three fingers while dragging my hands through the water while drifting with the current several years ago. Needless to say - I discovered that day that you cannot break that stuff, no matter what you do so it is either use a knife to cut it fast or lose your fingers.

(no - I am typing this with all fingers - as my paddling partner cut it with his knife…thanks Sam!)

Now I always carry a one hand operating folder on my pfd.

Scott

kayaking for years

– Last Updated: Feb-15-08 3:50 PM EST –

and have guided for three. I wear this Gerber dagger type knife on my vest in a sheath. The only time I have used it is when I fix meals. It does look impressive though and if I ever am attacked by sharks I'll be ready. I tend to agree with the comments above that it is for macho show--but if I ever need to cut something I'll be all set.

Question on the EMT Scissors

– Last Updated: Feb-15-08 9:30 PM EST –

I have always carried an small knife on my pfd. I actually used it once to 'rescue' a power boater who's anchor had run afoul on some submerged obstruction. Believe it or not, they had no tool with which cut themselves loose and the line could not be untied at their end. It had been whipped/braided around a deck cleat on the boat. They hailed me over and I cut them free.

I have a couple of questions on the EMT/Rescue scissors which have been cited by owners as potentially a better tool for sea kayakers than a pfd mounted blade.

First, is there any difference between the scissors sold in dive shops and the standard EMT scissors?

Second, have you tried using your scissor to cut 2-6 mm perlon/deck line?

When I first heard the scissors idea it sounded great to me. "Maybe I'll pick up one of those to replace my knife". I eventually realized I actually owned a standard EMT scissor, which is in my large wilderness first aid kit. This particular scissor was advertised as being able to "cut a penny in half!"
Everyone say "Ooooo!"

Hey, I'll give it a try. Well, my results were poor at best. Yes, my EMT scissors worked great on flat webbing, which makes sense since it should be able to quickly dispatch a seatbelt or clothing. However, when it came to cutting any thing that was round or circular in cross section (i.e deck line) it honestly sucked. I couldn't even cut a 2mm line. The scissors simply jammed. Not good. I tried test cutting several diameters, ranging from 2 to 6 mm and it would not work on any of them.

YMMV

I wondered about the scissors.
I have also tried cutting thicker stuff and they didn’t work very well.

caught in kelp

– Last Updated: Feb-15-08 9:13 PM EST –

this summer, i was launching out through bouncy headland swells (Amphritite Point), and my bow plunged just enough for a strand of bull kelp to come over the deck and slide up to my waist. i might have been able to pull it free from one side, but got nervous as it was pretty rough, and i was stuck, so pulled my folder out to cut it. still have the folder, still in a pocket on a lanyard, but it made me question not using a fixed blade on the outside of pfd, like on my river jacket. what would you do if you were me, switch knives? Murray, i mean salty?

Ginger…
As I recall, there once was a group who went out on the water … I believe the Skipper had one but his little buddy Gilligan didn’t. Lovie wanted to carry but Thurston wouldn’t let her. MaryAnn didn’t but should have as the Professor couldn’t be trusted.

Good point…
…I had a similar incident playing in the rocks a bit crossing Esperanza Inlet enroute from Kyuquot to Nootka Sound. Made me consider more clearly the implications of being around any kind of kelp in surging swell and rocks. The knife option crossed my mind as I was hurredly clearing the kelp from the deck before the next swell came in. I felt pretty stupid not to think that through beforehand–I’d just seen a ‘surgy’ channel that looked fun. Fixed blade knife would be faster to get in action, no doubt.

Good if you have a knife

– Last Updated: Feb-16-08 5:36 AM EST –

bad if you need one (for rescue)...

Personally I feel lucky that I only once had to use a knife as a rescue tool in an emergency life threatening situation, and hope I never have to use my rescue knife again.

Scissors
Never really thought about scissors, even though I carry a small pair for cutting the new braided fishing lines. I can see lots of other uses now. I also carry a cheap folding knife, that I strap to my PFD, for use in fishing, but mainly use my other fillet knife for fishing purposes.

I have seen knives with the rope hooks on them. Until now, I haven’t given one of those much thought.

I am so glad I saw this thread. I have always been careful not to throw any fishing line overboard because of injury to fish and birds, but I will be even more careful now that i’ve heard all these cases of freeing birds.

Ginger, I am in NC also. I mainly fish around the Swansboro area. If you see an old stocky guy in a mango colored SOT, with a straw hat on, and a yellow PFD, give me a wave.

that’s not my experience…
i don’t know if emt shears are the same as the shears i buy in dive shops…about $10-$15 or so, stainless?

i’ve never tried the cut the penny in half thing but i’ve cut all kinds of line (mono, para cord, deck line and even some thin rope) with them and they’ve never jammed and i can usually cut all of that using only the scissors…so one hand use.

for me, the thing i like about scissors is that you can cut line without having to have tension on that line…so if the mono is wrapped around the bird, me, whatever, i don’t need to add or have tension on it, i just need to slide one leg of the scissors under it.

anyways, for me, they’ve been a superior tool for the application…there are still a # of knives in my kit though for other things.

McNett Blakely Dive knife?
Has anyone used the McNett Blakely Dive knife? Rutabega carries it now, and so do a lot of dive shops.

McNett knife
If you get one, be sure to get the newer style sheath. The older ones break easly. Got mine replaced under warranty.

Rick thanks for the feedback

– Last Updated: Feb-16-08 1:33 PM EST –

Yeah, I was very perplexed by my experience. I also tried a second pair of EMT scissors and they did not work any better.

Yes, mine are stainless are ran around $12-13.

I have looked that the models in several dive shops and they did not appear to be any different from the EMT shears, with the exception of the fancy nylon case.

I really like the idea of being able to cut a line without it being under tension, but I couldn't get the various diameter perlons to cut no matter how I held lines.

I guess I would have to go shopping for one with several diameter nylon lines in hand.

Joe

Im sure shes never heard that one before

I always do…
…except when I fly. I carry at least one knife in a dry bag, but I’ve found it to be pointless to carry one on my PFD when sea kayaking.

It’s one of those thiings…
I learned a long time ago that there are a few things that fall into the category of “It’s better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.” A readily accessible knife on the water – or on any outdoor adventure – is at the top of the list. It takes up virtually NO space, ads virtually NO weight and, when needed, can literally mean the difference between life and death. Think about it, you can improvise on a lot of things, but there is no substitute for an immediately available cutting instrument. Personally I prefer a fixed blade – Remove it from it’s sheath and its ready to use. No fuss, no muss, no fumbling around trying to open it when seconds count.

In all actuality…
The person who is prepared and knows how to use each item they carry with them, is less likely to need to use those items and much less likely to put themselves into harms way where those items are needed. But, it is always nice to be able to help a fellow boater who may not be so prepared both mentally and physically. As a useful tool around any outdoor activity, a sharp straight/serrated blade is handy! Notice the word “sharp”?

Wal Mart sells a two dollar folding stainless steel plastic handled straight/serrated blade knife that anyone can afford to loose or give away!

Ask yourself, do you really need a PFD?

David de Oregon