Retirement BIG plan 16 months away!

Friday is my last day working.
I hope to be able to travel and paddle all those places I was unable to visit while working but…
In early November, SS told me I would get $1657/month starting 4th weekend in Nov.
In late November they ‘recalculated’ and dropped it to $1550 starting in Dec.
Friday the 'recalculated again and dropped it to $1250 staring in January.
What’s next? $350 starting on my next birthday? Or will they recalculate again and tell me that I owe them $500/month backdated to Aug 2018?

Will I be able to paddle? or will I barely have enough money to survive?

My ONLY good thing is my USAF retirement, what is left, which pays some bills but not all and not groceries or travel expenses.

People spat on me during the Vietnam war, the VA tossed us in the streets and denied Agent Orange and Gulf War Syndrome, now the Social Security Admin is fucking us over.

I’m sorry you’ve been treated so poorly, @RikJohnson. Sounds like incompetent staff at the SS office, or they may not have completely compiled your working history. Might not be a bad idea to check your SS statement online to make sure they’re working with the right numbers.

How old Rik? What you get from SS really depends on your age. I’ve been retired almost 5 years now and have not yet applied for SS. I will when I turn 70 in 3 years. I will get close to 3K then.

My advice would be to start drawing SS when you are eligible and if you don’t need the money, invest it in something solid and safe. Generally after you retire, your health becomes the main issue–more so than money, but money doesn’t hurt. Keep as active as you can and don’t buy a rocking chair.