retractable skeg or rudder

My input on both subjects in this thread
First of all the rudder/skeg debate. I have used both and my preference is a skeg, but I hardly even use that as I prefer to rely on my paddling skills. My advice to any new paddler is to try a boat you like first of all and worry about the skeg/rudder after that. I would also advise trying boats with both systems and see which you prefer. This is all about persona taste, not right or wrong.

Now for the inland wave issue. I worked at a lake for almost 10 years in the North of England and 3-4 waves were a regular occurance as the lake was in a valley that funneled the wind across the lake. Ask the windsurferes that would come from miles around, especially in winter! Even 8’ waves were not unusual in the winter months and the water would bust over the lake wall at the far end, sometimes swamping the road! It was a little hair raising to say the least when we had to go out on our R.I.B to rescue some twit who had overestimated his abilities. Feeling the R.I.B get airborne was a real adrenalin rush, though at times we thought we may end up flipping.

Actually, another parculiar aspect of this lake was that we could actually have up to four different wind directions at one time, depending on your position on the lake. It has caught out many sailors, especially visiting members to the lakes sailing club.

So although 8’ waves on inland lakes are not the norm, they are possible and 3-4 waves are pretty common on many lakes. It is another example of how people should never underestimate the powers of Mother Nature, she has a habbit of biting you in the butt if you do:)

I’d take a Manitou
outfitted with a backband and thigh hooks into surf and rock gardens over an Elaho any day. That’s my opinion based on paddling both. Sure, some rec boats are toys, but look at some of the things that have been done in various craft.

No, okole, No Lawyer Here…

– Last Updated: Mar-11-05 6:52 PM EST –

I'm not saying it's a good thing to sue a boat dealer. I'm just aware of what a good lawyer can convince a jury to do.