river ratings

If I’m ever at the WW put-in

– Last Updated: Apr-11-12 2:36 PM EST –

... with someone I don't know, and they ask how bumpy the rapids are, I'm not sure what my response will be ...

if someone ask me …

– Last Updated: Apr-11-12 3:15 PM EST –

...... I might say something like once you go under the bridge which is only passable on right , the wave trains are 30" high , 100 feet wide , 400' long on each side , the bridge center is damed up by a log jam dam ... but once you get past the bridge a ways you can get out of the wave trains into the middle of the flow where it's much calmer and even eddy back up to the down river side of the log jam if you're able to exit the trains quick enough .

I would say those wave trains are real bumpy , mess up and you're in trouble instantly , you can't avoid them , you have to go through them for awhile and the river speed picks up fast as soon as you go under the bridge into them .

I couldn't say this way or that about what rapid class level that stuff is , just that it's fairly mean water for awhile , big bumps to me . My canoe is a deep tandem but it's not a banana boat , and I'm not set up w/airbags , helmet , etc. , so we are at our limits and on the edge in that stuff .

Where is this place?
Sounds fun!

spring high water …

– Last Updated: Apr-13-12 10:52 PM EST –

....... at the Mouth of Monocacy river , MD .

The bridge is the old C&O Canal Monocacy aquaduct which is about a 1/4 mile from the Monoc's confluence with the Potomac river .

An typical rise on the Monoc. during spring high water from heavy rains is about 16'-17' on the gage at Frederick . You can time it as it's falling again . One spring we got there and the the intire upstream face of the aquaduct was a solid log jam dam shore to shore ... not passable from upstream side , so we carried to the downstream side and slide in . The launch is 100' or so upstream of the aquaduct .

When the gage 16.9 mi. upriver in Frederick MD. reads 6.5'-7' and the almost yearly log jam dam builds up against the aquaduct , it causes the water to split around both sides and the resulting wave trains for about 400' . You actually have to drop in off the water pillow that forms just as you head under the bridge on which ever side is still open .

There are large boulders and irregular bottom that inhabit the river bed immediately below the aquaduct all the way to the Potomac . When the gage is reading that 6'-7' , that's an avg. of 3-3.5' above normal avg. flow .

For us it's a matter of just getting out to the main river (Potomac) , from the launch at Mouth of Monocacy . We're going fishing , not running WW , but it seems there's always WW somewhere getting in the way ... guess that's just peidmont/mountain rivers , it's there so you learn to work with it .

The Monocacy is just one place , there's plenty more of this kinda stuff all around the Potomac ... Potomac just happens to be one of the rivers we fish .

That was paddling our canoe , leighrobin and I , I think this girl is crazy (about fishin , lol) .

You ought to see how brave (stupid) the nephew and I get when we are using the Jon boat in the cold spring high waters ... you ever see a Jon boat w/jet climb a waterfall , lol ... how about side slipping (the big slide) across a long ledge (75'-100' to cross upriver) sideways trying to find a pass upriver in the fast waters of the Susquehana , lose it on the slide and you gonna roll , would probably be hilarious to on lookers to se us roll the Jon .

I think I found the image on google
Is this it?

http://tinyurl.com/76hen4j

Looks like good fishing.

How do you get back upstream when it’s running?

from the red ballon …

– Last Updated: Apr-12-12 10:49 AM EST –

...... on your Google link (that's Frederick) , look easward to find the Monocacy river running around the east side of Frederick .

Follow the Monocay south 16-17 miles until it confluences with the Potomac (larger river) ... if you enlarge and check Googles photo feature on the drop down menu , there are many pics. of the Mouth of Monocay C&O aquaduct ... all the ones I looked at show an unblocked aquaduct and easy flow ... but that all changes almost every spring (Mar-Apr) when we get good rains .

Drop a mail and I'll show you that aquaduct fully blocked , you'll know exactly what I mean then .

We are able to hug the shore paddling like maniacs river left for the 1st half on the way back up ... then line the rest of the way to the aquaduct jam , thread through under the aquaduct still lining over the jam and then the last 100' or so lining to the launch . Fairly easy to do unless your bow slips a foot off track away from huging shore ... then you just gotta go with it into the 180 and get blown down stream , but the good news is you can take another shot after the long recovery , lol ... you'll get back to the launch sooner or later , it's a guarantee - that's where your truck is .

Yeah , that section of the Potomac sometimes has some exceptionally good fishin ... I think it's called a trophy section (??) .

Follow that Potomac from the Monoc. northward upriver not too far and you'll find Harpers Ferry (Civil War place) at the confluence with the Shenandoah river ... that water around there runs cls III regularly , kinda scarey to me sometimes .

The Monocacy runs out of PA clarion , drops down through MD past Frederick into the Potomac .

I wish…
the original poster would chime back in with at least what part of the country he’s talking about. Class I and II in the Ozarks is a lot different, with somewhat different types of hazards, than class I and II in Montana or in Virginia. To me, class II is bad enough to be dangerous in several ways.

Volume. A class II on a big, high volume river means that there is little margin for error. It might be easy, but do something wrong and self rescue is a lot more difficult than it would be normally on a much smaller stream.

Strainers. A lot of class I streams will have a few class II strainers, that change from year to year and are usually ignored in the guidebooks. Any water in my part of the country, the Ozarks, that doesn’t have a canoe outfitter servicing it will likely have a few strainers (the outfitters chain saw the strainers on their rivers). The guidebooks will call it class I, but make a mistake with a strainer and it’ll be just as dangerous as class IV. Paddling a class II rock garden is a whole lot safer than paddling a class I river with strainers.

Water temps. Even in summer, streams in some parts of the country are cold enough to pose a threat of hypothermia.

Complacency. I’ve gotten wet a few times even after 50 years of paddling class I and II, and it always happens when I get careless in an “easy” place, never when I come to a more difficult looking rapid.

Well said. n/t

Ask locally
The internet can only help so much.

Ask locally and find people who’re familiar with the stretch you’re concern about. If they’ve seen you paddle, they can tell you if you’re up for it.

If you have the chance, join a local paddling club so you get some local experience to help you.

As others have said
There is a lof of variety in what people call Class II and it changes with time based on changes in equipment and such.

The guidebook including a run probably means it’s a common whitewater river, so hopefully you can find a guide or a group to go with the first time down.

The final decision should weigh your skill level with the difficulty of the river, the remoteness, the weather and water conditions, and your risk tolerence.

I can think of very easy runs with Class I and Class II where I’d put anyone in a boat and say “go” and I can think of other Class II runs where I’d strongly suggest having a guide the first time down. Someone familiar with a river often knows where new people have trouble and will take them around the trouble spots.

If you tell me you’re all comfortable on Class III, know how to boat scout, catch eddies, swim a drop, etc. then my answer might be “just go on”, but then again if you were that skilled you probably wouldn’t be asking this question.

Asking a local paddlers, “Is this a beginner friendly run?” “What skills do I need” and “What levels are high and low”, and “Are there any spots to be aware of” can help tremendously – things often change after a guidebook is printed, so it can only tell you so much.

If a WW club is nearby try to find out what you can from the guys that run it year after year – even join the club to find other (often better) runs in your area. Most clubs are tight nit groups who tend to help each other out a lot.

$0.02

kimo , can you hike to the rapids …
… how long of a run is the river trips your thinking of … 5 mi. , 10 mi. ??

What about paddling up river for the 1st look see ??

I’ve paddled up river 4-5 mi. to check some rapids and ledges before . Wanted to see them 1st from the bottom side because some said cl III and advised caution at certain water levels … they were pretty technical , long and fast , and as such have not run them yet from the top down , probably won’t ever .

We’re out there fishin and going through rapids and over ledges is just part of gettin around on the mountain river thing , but there is a “no do it” point for me , ain’t worth it thing . Biggest deal is I don’t always feel like securing everything I take along fishin to keep from losing it to the bottom .

Going up river is nice way to go sometimes , and you always end up back where you started , no shuttle needs for that type of outing , and it’s just as much fun , if not a bit more challenging .

Lot a different ways to go in the canoe , it’s all good , each place and way is different , keeps it interesting !!

Bring spare pants!
I was as calm as could be floating down that river, until I hit that submerged log with my gut and snagged my pants on it. The embarrassment of losing my pants in front of a bunch of ww canoeists (mainly guys), once the throw rope got to me, kept me from the real worry of almost going under that strainer. So yes, things can go wrong really fast when you least expect it.

That said, my advice is find someone you can learn from – a group or mentor, or take lessons or classes if at all possible.