Rolling -- best method of instruction?

depends on student and their needs
each student is different and the approach I take is different each time.

I use a lot of the same methods but apply them differently or at different times. Sometimes I come up with new stuff if that is what the student needs.

The best standard is not having a standard because you don’t have standard students.

non-kayakers are great students!!
I have taught a lot of people to roll who have never been in a kayak before the rolling class. Sure they don’t know general fundamentals of kayaking, but they only need to know the parts that relate to rolling. They also don’t have hang ups and notions about kayaking and rolling. Nor do they have kayaking failures to mentally overcome.

In fact, most of my quickest rollers and those with the highest retention are non-paddlers.

If I am working one on one I don’t even teach the wet exit until the very end of the class.

1 student CAN’T roll with mask
the visual stimulation and clues are too distracting for her. She works best when she can feel her body working. She struggled and struggled with a mask so we took it off. She rolled gracefully about 10 times in a row, put the mask on and she failed, then took it off again and she rolled brilliantly.

It is all about what works for the students. Failure to learn is very often the failure to teach effectively.

Visual stimulation, or something else?

If you had her try to doing it with the mask on, and eyes closed (always an option - and an easy way to transition from mask to no mask) you would know if it was really all the “visual stimulation”, or just the distraction/iterference of a heavy uncomfortable mask…

mask on, eyes closed, worked
I would hope that a mask would not be so heavy or uncontrollable that it interferes with someone rolling.

A similar question has been asked about hoods on jackets/anoraks interfering with a roll. Things that cause such a small amount of resistance should not prevent people from rolling. IF they do the problem is with mechanics or timing, not the resistance from an item worn.

second EJ’s DVD

Chris Spelius!
hey do you still wear a pink helmet?