Rolling in cold water

Yeah, It’s Harder

– Last Updated: Dec-13-09 4:33 PM EST –

I went to the local, calm reservoir this AM. Air temp about 35F and water about 46F. I could do two quick rolls in succession and the discomfort around the eyes and brow got pretty intense despite the thick dive hood. Two quick rolls - wait for my face to quit hurting. Two quick rolls - wait for my face to quit hurting...

Not bad for a little roll maintenance but not a good environment for learning.

Learning is always harder
If I get water sloshing around in my ears (even warm water), I can still roll as usual. But learning a new one with water in ears is definitely hindered, if not impossible. I guess that’s the difference between having the muscle memory and trying to ingrain it with a new series of movements.

Here’s some “environment” for ya:
Note pic #3–Frozen whitewater, can and does happen.

(Personally, I never roll/scull when it’s this cold–Only draw and duffek;-):

http://picasaweb.google.com/spiritboat/IcyWaters#

Ouch!

second the sculling
I learned a sculling brace this year after seeing a few folks doing it and thinking “gee, that looks really neat.” I didn’t realize at the time how much it would help my roll (sweep). Of course, it makes perfect sense in hindsight - it ingrains the most effective paddle position and motion for support near the water and also reinforces a good lay-back.

Now I really wonder why it isn’t part of the standard kayak ciriculum. In particular, I think it could cut down on the frustration factor that a lot of folks experience in learning to roll. And it’s not hard to learn – just hang out in a couple feet of water and if you lose your balance, no big deal, just prop back up with the paddle. Much easier than failing your roll where you either need a) a spotter or b) wet exit, bail boat, get back in, etc.

Sculling or static brace
My first successful rolls came after I learned to do a static brace. Initially with the help of a paddle float or a small learn-to-swim vest that my daughter dies not use any more and that I could either keep in the middle of my paddle and slide out towards the end for added buoyancy if the roll did not work. Then I kept the small vest on my deck to use in cases my roll failed of if I needed to roll without the paddle (that hand-roll still eludes me -:wink:

Anyway, the water temps are falling down fast. Since I posted the top message in the thread, they’ve gone down by about 4 degrees to around 38F… Next time I’ll probably have my full hood on instead of the light-weight “cap-hood” that has been good till now in the water (but too hot above it).

Ear plugs work to keep your ear
cavities from filling up with cold water. The cold hastens rolling like nothing else. I use ear plugs for my overall ear health (infections and surfer’s ear), plus the less cold infusion they can offer when upside down.

Second, Jay Babina mentioned the sculling brace. I agree mostly. The sculling brace has saved me several times. However, the longer you stay in the transition zone between up and down, the quicker that rock downstream comes up at you. Don’t mess around too much with the reactive style of paddling, you will need it on occasion, but if you are going over, brace or scull then get upright and get moving. The best brace in the world is a forward stroke, especially when your body is pointed where you want to go.

Dogmaticus