Roof rack. On or off during winter months?

@Rookie said:
@Overstreet

I like paddling in cold weather. Last time I launched on Lake Michigan (Nov. 6) , it was so different. All the sailboats and docks were gone. No clutter. Didn’t have to paddle across the harbor being wary of other vessels. While the water is always clear, it’s cold temperature seemed to add even more clarity and for a while as I paddled, I could see my shadow on the lake bed even though I wasn’t that close to shore. That also made me realize how very much alone I was. Situational awareness.

Gale warnings have keep me away since then but the weekend wind forecast looks promising so I hope to get back, perhaps for the last time this season as the water temp is 44F. As winter sets in I’ll move to the inland lakes until the ice forces me to move my kayak to the pool. That’s when I’ll figure out what to do about my roof rack.

Me too actually - my wife not so much - but we’ll paddle until our local lakes ice up.

And as you said, colder water is clearer with none of the algae and microorganisms that warmer temperatures bring. I haven’t done it in a few years now but scuba diving under lake ice is also a terrific experience as long as you have the training and know how to do it safely.

And if people want to stop paddling or diving as soon as the weather cools, that’s fine too.

To us water temp of 50- 55 F is winter. And water that comes from the springs is around 72F all year. Temps can be 29 in the morning and 75 in the afternoon. Layering is a good thing. I’ve fished on new years day at 80 F. Some groups, like Paddle Florida, start their season in Oct and end in May… Florida is a good place for snowbirds to come for winter paddles.

I already conversed with Rookie on this but if anyone else has a Hullavator that only part that I would recommend removing to protect from the winter road elements is the bar mount assembly that the Hullator attaches to. It is simply attached with two round barrel nuts that secure the shackles going under the cargo bar, or in the case of aftermarket aerodynamic bars, two button screws that attach the assembly to the square nuts inside the T-track of the aero bar. This assembly is oil baked making it quite resistant to the elements but it can’t hurt them to store them away with the rest of the Hullavator. The rest of the roof rack is fairly inert regarding the elements so I would leave it in place. You never know when some cargo bars are going to come in handy.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
www.the-river-connection.com
fb.me/theriverconnection

(Back now, from the L5 IDW in Tybee Island, GA)