rough water rescues

what would have happened?
it’s anyone’s guess?

I think armchair psychology of any rescue event is fairly dubious. However.

If he hadn’t put his skirt on and just tried to paddle to shore after I had put him back in his kayak, he might have made it to shore sooner, or it might not have.

Bottom line is, he’s ok. I’m ok. My instinct to put the skirt back on in the surf zone I think is not entirely misplaced. If I had attempted a second rescue and gotten him back in, I might have considered letting him leave the skirt off.

i’m envious of this sort of wave
action as well, short v shaped wind driven chop ranging from 2-8 feet is what we get. occasionally as on the day of the event in question we get slow spillers with maybe a 5 second interval.

Monday morning quarterbacking…
always goes on. I’m not trying to be that way, just asking a couple questions. I admire you guys for making it happen. I have some friends that stick together very cohesively and others that paddle in a group only in name. I vastly prefer a cohesive group.

I’d probably have gone for closing the spray skirt, too, as I prefer less water, but if there is only time for a brace, or a sweep to orient the boat correctly, then that gets my attention first.

Rob

That’s What I Surfed Yesterday
3’ foot steep wind waves with 5-6 intervals. More suited to a longer boat than a DragoRossi.

sing

When It’s "Goin’ Down…"
everyone makes the “best decision” possible with a very limited time frame, usually within the framework of one’s skill set and what one’s familiar with. The best scenario is no one got hurt and one can “debrief” and second guess about better ways the next time around.

sing

Bottom line…
is that my ability to respond/react was pretty well compromised due to the dizziness/nausea/fatigue. I think Keith made the best first assesment he could have, given that we have paddled together for a while now (ie - gave me the benefit of the doubt that I would get in and be happily on my way). His training/judgement really came through when I came outa the boat for the second time, and he took appropriate steps to address the situation.

sorry that meant
armchair psych on my own actions. I wasn’t griping about your question at all :slight_smile:

I do think it is good to look back and think about what I could have done better or quicker.

I’m just dubious because I don’t know that it would have made any difference in this particular scenario.

6’ at six seconds ? …

– Last Updated: Jul-08-05 11:14 PM EST –

Now I'm not sure I would get out of bed for that either...

One's man's celiling is another man's floor.

When we were in Looe in the UK a couple of weeks ago a storm was coming in with small short period stuff, the river mouth focuses the waves so the get quite big and they crash sideways onto a jetty. Some local teenagers would throw intertubes over the jetty dive in and then surf along the impact zone on the sea wall on the intertubes until they reached a set of steps going down the jetty, the wave would hit the jetty and shoot up the steps blowing the kids about 10 feet in the air up the steps , and they would have to land on very steep narrow steps in a flood of wave wash or get sucked back into the river that was running in with a huge tide. If I tried it I would either break every bone in my body or drown. They sure were having a good time though.

Yup… 'Bout What We Had This AM

– Last Updated: Jul-09-05 7:11 PM EST –

From Cindy. Was some scary moments on the outer break with 5-6 foot waves, really tight intervals, breaking here there with no rhyme or reason. Thankfully, as Cindy moved way from us, the waves got a smaller with longer intervals. The wind turned offshore and cleaned up the faces. We had some great rides on beautiful 4-5' after lunch. The sun broke out and the boardies all showed up. Was a 7 hour session for some us. We surfed 'til we could surf no more. :)

sing

It was supposed to be poor here
but there were three - four footers , a few bigger ones, very easy to get out, some long peeling rides. I surfed until noon then had to come in for family stuff. I’m kind sore from being out of practice.