Rough Water

I have a little routine that goes like

– Last Updated: Nov-05-11 9:38 PM EST –

this. First, I zip-up my wetsuit, take a drink and tighten up my pfd. Then, push up on the footpegs and sit up straight, looking out ahead and sensing the wind. Speed is like money in the bank so I pick it up a bit but not too much to conserve strength. Then it's time for hypervigalence. Keep up the speed, stay perpinduclar to the waves, be ready to brace on every stroke, sense the wind, change the angle of my recovery and keep looking out caculating and anticipating my next move. When I get a peaceful moment, I'll mentally rehurse my rescue plan and rest.
One more thing...I keep an eye on how much water is getting into the cockpit. If I lose the trim or the boat is handeling badly, I head for shore. It's very excititng to watch water breaking over the bow and come into the cockpit but when a boat full of water is impossible to control, its time to quit.

Now that’s the kind of attitude I like
Oh oh! Another “storm sea skier” in the making? Watch out, for it is addicting and once you develop the habit, you’ll find flat water paddling too boring.

Personally
I just try my hardest not to fall out of my kayak. And I also LOVE getting into bad weather, yes it’s scary but also very exciting! And when I get out I get the feeling of accomplishment…don’t know why lol

Obviously that doesn’t mean I go out when I know there’s bad weather

Wayne
We had a great surf day 4-7 feet, and a hoarkload of fun at the Menominee river. You should have been there.

yes I should have
But I decided after looking at my bank account and the resumes of the instructors that I probably have more hours in Lake Superior rough water than almost all of them combined, since I live on it. Not that I’m being cocky-I’m no elite paddler, but I have spent hundreds of hours in Lake Superior waves (and I honestly don’t think any of your instructors except maybe one can say that, since they live elsewhere). At this stage of the game I think I get more out of teaching than being taught. Its certainly cheaper. :wink:

But one of these days I’m sure I will bump into some of this years attendees and I’ll be interested to hear how they liked the gathering.