rudder question

All sorts of opinions…

Even if you like rudders (nothing wrong with that), you’ll become a better kayaker if you learn how to control your boat without it. It takes a bit of time and patience to learn boat control.

I suspect that many people who rely on rudders tend to be rather “static” kayakers. So, if you are interested in paddling in rougher conditions, you might want to keep the rudder up (to learn better boat control). With solid boat control skills, use the rudder whenever you like.

Keep in mind that, in high winds (down wind, especially), you might find it easier to deploy the rudder.

If (let’s say) your wife is a less frequent paddler, she might prefer using the rudder. (If so, swap the boats!)

I’ve seen one
It was a racing boat made by a British company, Kirton. The model is the Tercel.

http://www.kirton-kayaks.co.uk/index.html

Lou

might be too late
Mistake I made was letting her try mine and lo and behold she likes it better than the one I brought for her. Looks like I’ll either be using the Dimension or getting another XL.

Could be much worse.

thanks for all the info.

Dagger Latitude has Integral Rudder
These integral rudders got a bad rap from MOST kayakers, but I love the design.

I’m in the skeg camp, now…

No, I’m in the canoe camp, now…

Oops…now I love my woodstrip kayak…

Wow, the Grasse River XL solo canoe looks great…

I love my SEDA Vagabond…

Bell makes nice canoes…

Have you seen Necky’s Chatum (spelling?)?

You should purchase a Sawyer Summersong…

Hmmm…

Glenn

?
Rudder makes the kayak MORE STABLE? I’ve not heard about that!

Care to elaborate?

Okay, got the rudder on my Prijon
Calabria and I have wwritten a review under kayak reviews. I agree now with the Deadhead… Deadhead sticker on a Cadill — rudder? Anyhow, I curse the rudderthingee too.

As I think bruce asked in this or another forum, I am tempted to simply glue a Lowe’s / Home Depot strip of something rubbery to the middle to my boat botom as a poor man’s skeg and see how she flies.

integral rudder
Glazierwood,

Lightspeed kayaks have a rudder system like you describe.

http://www.extremeinterface.com/index.html

I have this system on a Lightspeed Phantom (double). It works very well.

Rudders: Check out Greg Barton
I read his tips on rudders at:

epickayaks.com (Sorry I couldn’t get the URL)

News & resources

Tips

Use of paddles