rudder

My point -:wink:
What good is a rudder if in order to use the pedals for bracing it must not deployed and if you have to press both pedals equally -:wink:

Everybody’s right
Rudders are hands down the most efficient, but many of us like the smooth lines, mechanical simplicity and solid footbraces you get with a skeg. I much prefer the skeg, but I’m not trying to race anyone. The only ones who are wrong are those who claim one is best for everyone.

You must have uncoordinated legs.
It becomes second nature quickly and you don’t even notice.

Well …

– Last Updated: Jun-29-09 4:22 PM EST –

I'm not the most coordinated person around, that I admit. Can you explain how you do torso/hip rotation in conjunction with leg pumping IF both legs are pressing equally at the same time? Or am I missing something about sliding pedals that somehow become non-sliding? If I wedge myself under the knee braces I can keep my feet even but that's plain silly to do for any length of time. Alternatively I can fix my heels to the bottom off foam blocks or something, but these does not come standard in the Tsunami...

Rudders
I like paddling up sloughs with the tide looking for elk or other wildlife. This is the time I really like my rudder. I can let the current move me and use the rudder for steering so as not to bring any more attention to myself.

Be careful, my wife broke the rudder
keeper on her Perception Shadow just by doing what you are describing.

cheers,

JackL

There’s a big benefit for incompetents.

But you are advanced
How many can claim that distinction?

cheers,

jackL

Probably about .01 % of paddlers.

– Last Updated: Jun-29-09 7:36 PM EST –

But that's probably because the other 99.99% use rudders and, therefore, can't advance :)

Reasons for a rudder in a kayak
1) Sailing: you’ll really need it if you want to keep sailing when the wind kicks up.

2) Single blading: It’s a big help whenever you are using half a paddle or a true single blade paddle.

3) Fishing: Following fish with a rod in your hands is easier. Trimming ans steering are easier. Most of the best Kayak Anglers want rudders.

4) Game Photography: A friend told me she paddles fast to get up to speed when approaching a river bend and then sets sdown the paddle and gets the camera ready. She can get really close shots by sitting still like a drifting log and steering with the rudder.

I really didn’t want one except for the sailing part. I think a skeg has less stuff to break. Ideally I’d like a kayak that doesn’t need a skeg either. In the shallow rocky river I paddle my favorite boat does not have a rudder or a skeg.

To cut to the chase…

– Last Updated: Jun-30-09 1:52 PM EST –

You will find any and all opinions about rudders on this board. But I don't think to rudder or not is what you should be asking. From what I can tell, you are contemplating getting a kayak and are asking around the question of which one in parts like rudders, quality of first boat etc.

You will not be able to make a good decision about a kayak that will be a long term hold for you until you spend some time in one, just basic seat time as well as learning something about strokes and rescues that'll give you a sense of what features you find most useful. In the meantime a lot of people will tell you to go used, so that any less than perfect choices made in the first boat aren't going to give you buyer's blues.

So, am I correct? If so, where would you be paddling and what outfitters or kayak clubs are around you? Sharing that might be a more useful start for you than the current threads.

Paul Caffyn’s take
Not sure if it is still current -:wink:

http://www.sissonkayaks.co.nz/caffyn.htm